Ideal setup for a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! I have been off the board for a while since I had to move cross country and had to take down my two lovely tanks. Unfortunately I did not get to take them with me. :( And I am suffering fish withdrawals pretty badly.

Our new place has no good spot for a large tank (ie...my empty 90 gallon that is still in storage in Montana) so I am trying to convince my husband for a small 5-12 gallon set up for my birthday.

I must have live plants (got addicted and I just know myself, might as well plan for that) but I have never had a tank this small so I am wondering if you all have suggestions and whether this would be the ideal setup for a betta? I have always loved them but never had one.

So what do ya think?

That is a great birthday present. Since you have had planted tanks before you will just have to scale down the leaf size and the hard scape.

That's for sure! Scaling down will be the hard part...lol.
But I am ok with having a betta as the lone fish and concentrating on the plants as the main "scape"

Anyone who has had Betta.....do they like a lot of room to swim or do they just hang out in one spot most of the time? I never understood how people could keep any fish in a "bowl" I mean I know they can withstand it, but how do they behave in a happy environment?

i think the ten gallon would be great for a betta. the thing with bettas is they dont like a lot of water movement.
i just pulled a bunch of plants from my tank i can send ya if you want.

so how far cross country did you move?
and HAPPY BIRTHDAY:multi::bday:

I have bettas in everything from 2.5 gallon up to 10 gallon. Depending on the age of the betta their activity level seems to change. Young ones are all over the place and are in the bigger tanks, my old men of 5 are happy just hanging around on the plants in a smaller tank.

that's quite a climate change. some of the plants are the same that you sent me over a year ago. and you know you'll be getting the bigger tank for the plants not the betta. lol

amazon swords, java fern....maybe a pennywort....in a 5 gallon would be nice for the betta...all those plants are hardy

I had swords outgrow my 46 gal tank so I know how big they get...lol. Maybe a crypt though instead and I like the pennywort idea, and maybe some asian ambulia, even though I would likely have to trim it a ton! :) I am getting so excited now. My husband might not even make me wait for my birthday....yeah....lol.
I think I am officially addicted to aquaria.

hey, happygirl, it is good to see you back on here, I am sure your betta will be the happiest one around, your planted tanks were always so pretty!

aww, thanks. :) I miss them. I was able to set one of my tanks up at my MIL's house before I left MT. It is the 46 gallon one and is now heavily planted after putting all the plants from the 90 gallon and the 46 in there. :) She sent me a video of the tank with my angels and discus for Mother's day...it made me cry. I miss having them around always begging for food.

I have gone over in my mind a million times how I could get them down here and I just don't think I could do it without stressing them too much. I will eventually get my 90 gal here but I am afraid I will have to start all over with fish.

I guess that is why I am excited to start over with a smaller tank and see what I can do with that. I know it's only a matter of time before my MTS takes over and I have to add more....bigger.....etc. :)
I guess I am just a fishy finatic.

Back
Top Bottom