Ideal tank mates for Rams...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hrafnkel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've recently fallen in love with German Blue Rams and am going to get a pair or two for my next tank, due to them taking up less space than the angels I was going to get (and generally being cooler. :p). What are some good tankmates for them, though? Tetras? Barbs? Having trouble finding any info on that.

Well, you've come to the right place. Take a look at these pics:

German Ram with Serpaes and Lampeye tetras
serious007.jpg

serious003.jpg

With corydoras julii
ramcoriesserpae.jpg

I also have 3 angels and a sailfin pleco in the tank as well.

HTH.

So tetras are good? I figured the barbs might get a little pushy (and I'm not big on barbs anyway). Any particular species of tetras, or just tetras in general?

Most tetras will do. I would suggest getting a sufficient number (6 or more). This will eliminate the possibility of fin nipping. Serpaes are known nippers but since I have a schoal, they just pester themselves and leave everyone else alone. I have 4 Lamp eyes who seem to enjoy being alone or gathering with each other as well. I'm not too sure about black skirts though. I have them in my 30 gal.

I agree that barbs would do nothing but create problems for the Rams.

I try to always get a sufficient number for fish that like to be in groups, don't worry. :p Anything other than tetras? Cories, maybe? (Though I'm not sure yet, and probably something other than the common variety). Guppies? Hatchets? Gouramis? I'm not very experienced with, well, anything but tetras and cories, yet. :p I've been dealing with really basic fish so far, so I'm looking into some more... interesting things with my next few tanks (yes, MTS already). Already have a brackish tank planned out and now I'm working on this one that'll have the rams and my loach in it. Oh, and thanks for the help, you've helped me several times now, I think.

Cories...yes. There's a pic of them above. I wouldn't do Gourami's or Hatchets, just my personal choice. The Rams seem to do better with species from their natural environment (South America). So Angels and tetras are preferred. Ok, so the loach my not originate from SA, but I think it's ok.

I have a on-going thread regarding German Rams that you may want to take a look at.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53378&highlight=

BTW....thanks for the thanks! (y)

Woops, missed the cories in the picture, sorry. :p And yeah, I was reading that thread earlier, good stuff. I think my loach will be fine, he doesn't care about anything in the world. He just likes to hoard the sinking wafers in his cave while he eats them, but even then he doesn't even chase my cories out if they go in with him. He's real peaceful. I'll go with tetras, I think. Angels just get too big.

Sounds good. Keep in mind that MTS is treatable by having fish that will outgrow your tank, making it imperative that you get more or larger tanks. L)

See, that's the plan I had in getting the loach. I knew he'd get too big so it'd be an excuse to get another tank. >.> The brackish tank is because I saw a few F8's at the LFS and knew I'd have to get some, eventually. Just haveta wait 'til, y'know, I have money.

I have hatchets with my rams and there are no problems. The hatchets stay at the top of the tank and the rams totally ignore them. I have corys as well. They all do get along, but I have noticed my rams push them around a bit.

Thanks. Not sure if I'm gunna go with any cories yet, but I might just 'cause my loach is used to having cories around.

I agree, I wouldn't keep barbs with blue rams either, they are too boisterous and nippy. The loach will probably be cool, though. I'd probably stick to tetras and angels, like JC said. :D Good luck with the rams, I hope they do better in your tank than they did in mine. :(

Yeah, I've gotten plenty of replies saying the loach will be fine. And I've had him a while, he's a really peaceful little guy. Not worried about him at all, I think he'll live with just about anything in the world and not hurt it. I hope the rams will do well, too.

What about firemouth cichlids? I just bought a pair and am hoping to keep them in with my rams.

I don't really have any experience with cichlids, the rams'll be my first. >.> So I can't tell ya anything about that.

I have one firemouth and he can be kind of aggressive. I think that if your pair ever breeds, it might be trouble for your rams.

I am planning on getting 4 discus (juvis) and mite put 2 rams in there as well :)

Steven_Askham said:
I am planning on getting 4 discus (juvis) and mite put 2 rams in there as well :)

From what I've seen, Rams have made great tankmates with discus. Keep in mind that both are very, very sensitive to water conditions and the slightest spike will stress them.

Thank you, and am very aware off this 8) .
I need to be very carefull with the discus any way so I mite as well take advantage of this oppertunity and house some other sensitive fish with them lol :lol:

It's just good practice to include a disclaimer when recommending a sensitive fish...goodness knows, Discus and Rams are the King and Queen of them in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom