ideas for 25 and 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuakingAspen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd just like some ideas for a lightly stocked 25 gallon and an empty 29 gallon tank.

The 25 is completely empty, it has been cycling for about two months and I have a shipment of plants coming in this week so it will be pretty heavily planted. I would really like some farlowella or whiptail catfish so if anyone has advice on the best of these options to go with the plants and catfish.
Current options that I'm thinking about are
-betta sorority
-apistos
-gouramis
-dwarf/pea puffers or maybe a figure eight
- ctenopoma leaffish

I have a 29 that's been running maybe two years pretty lightly stocked, no plants. Inhabitants include 5 albino cories, 3 black skirt tetras, and a clown pleco, also about 5 assassin snails. Does anyone know if it would be smart to add a couple of silver dollars to this tank?

Thanks for the input, I personally would love to put in a bunch more schools of corydoras but it would leave the tank looking so unbalanced. I'll probably just end up going with a couple more schools of tetras.

Lol, I love cichlids.... So I would do apisto or rams. But you should add a few more black skirts. 3 is too few.

But remember... there are many types of tetras. I don't have a clue how the Betta females consider black skirts...

Well I'm working on a 25 gallon tank with my cousin right now that will eventually have rams o I don't want rams, I would rather have apistos. Black skirts would not be in the same tank with the bettas if that's what I end up getting. Does anyone know if I would be okay with getting three or so long finned black skirts to school with the ones I have now? Along the line of tetras I'm thinking buenos aires and serpae with maybe scissortail or harlequin rasboras. Probably not all of those species, those are just some personal favorites.

I also do at least a 50% water change on both tanks at least once a week. Usually more than that, my schedule is a little loose.

My personal favorite opinion for the 25 gallon would be some anabantoids like the ctenopoma, gourami, paradise, or maybe some badis

Black skirts are pretty bland and a little nippy. My favorite tetras, which I'm currently keeping, are neons, rummynoses, and emperors. Buenos Aires tetras get too large and are nippy. I also keep a school of harlequin rasboras. Neons and rummies swim in the bottom 3rd of the tank and harlequins and emperors swim in the top 3rd, so they provide for nice balance.

Well, I already have the black skirts. Just curious if the regular and long finned varieties would cohabitate well as I'm trying to bump up the numbers on the school. Also, If anyone has any ideas other than tetras, I would love to hear them. The current stocking is 5 albino corys, 3 regular fin black skirts, and a clown pleco, and the tank is a 29 gallon. Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom