Ideas for 25gal brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know how many brackish folks post here but if anyone has experience or ideas Id love to here them... I usually prefer non-schooling large oddball fish... but am open to any ideas as it is my first brackish tank?

I have a BW tank with small fish--bumble bee gobies and small flounders (I'm not sure how big they are going to get) and a school of Celebes Rainbows.
As for odd balls, there are other gobies that are brackish, scats, and puffers.

hmmmmmm

I really like gobies... the problem is I have to stay small... my big tank is already full of freshwater fish

how big to gobies and puffers get... and do they have good personalities?

I need something to keep the substrate mixed up to... Ive got my fire eel to do that in my 65:) anything like that for brackish

Get yourself a figure 8 puffer (they have a slightly better personality than a green spotted) and in my experience really are quite civil. Get some frozen clam, and you can hand feed these fish.

My vote is Figure 8 puffer! You will not be disappointed.

Unfortunatly, most of the large oddball fish get to big for a 25 (i.e. scat, mono, archer, silver shark cat, dantoid, four-eyed livebearer, waspfish) a FW moray would stir the gravel, but I am not sure it would fit the tank. I guess the crowd approves the puffer. I personally dont like thee mean disposition and nipping behavior, but they would make a good species tank. Here is an idea i will leave you with, though. Fill the tank about halfway, and get a submerisble filter. Angle the gravel so it comes out of the water on one side, and have driftwood and rocks sticking out too. plant a mangrove or two. you have a mudskipper/fiddler tank.

Thanks for the post

............ continued from previous post "brackish ideas?"
I will consider muskippers.... they really are amazing creatures...

They may be more work than I am bargining for as Im going away to school and want something realitivly low maintence.

I was thinking what about a species tank of figure 8s or maybe even assorted brackish puffers

Also does anyone know of any asexual snails (ex trumpet snails) that could surive and breed in brackish water because I was thinking that would be a neat way to keep teh figure 8s fed. They could eat the little ones:)

I tried merging this post with your other one since it is still the same topic, but it's not working.

mts will do fine in a brackish tank, just acclimate them properly. However, they are NOT asexual. They do not reproduce by budding, fragmentation, or parthenogenesis. Some snails have both reproductive organs and do not need a partner.

Thanks, Sorry about restarting the post I was actually trying to just reply to the other one but got mixed up... so I edited the 'continued' part in

I just went down to the LFS and he said that the puffers would just eat the parent snail anyway... he said don't have more than one puffer but gobys would be okay.... I dunno if I believe that last part ill have to do some research

they had a mudskipper... so cool!!! don't know what I wanna do

I have seen tanks of puffers looking pretty beat up, but I have heard it is possible to keep more than one. Gobies are very diverse and there are always mudskippers--you have your work cut out for you!

ooh that sounds like a fun setup :). how big does a mudskipper tank needa be? that sounds like fun :D. err nvm no one sells em around here :(

Re: Thanks for the post

Hutch said:
............ continued from previous post "brackish ideas?"
I will consider muskippers.... they really are amazing creatures...

They may be more work than I am bargining for as Im going away to school and want something realitivly low maintence.

I was thinking what about a species tank of figure 8s or maybe even assorted brackish puffers

Also does anyone know of any asexual snails (ex trumpet snails) that could surive and breed in brackish water because I was thinking that would be a neat way to keep teh figure 8s fed. They could eat the little ones:)

a 20g is too small for any BW puffer other than a figure eight, and only one or two at the most.

it's also way too small for mudskippers, they need at least 10 gallons of water per fish and need about a 90g long for a good setup. They don't do well with small spaces as they're VERY territorial and bicker ALOT.

I would recommend either a figure eight or some mollies and bb gobies.

BW is not for beginners, if you're just getting into the hobby or aren't that experienced I highly recommend becomming a little more advanced first.

Back
Top Bottom