Ideas for 3 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mojo3251

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new 10 gallon tank and giving my old 3 gallon tank to my uncle and he was wondering what kind of fish to get.

i agree with the other 2 posters,shrimp and/or snails is all you could have in a 3

There's a few fish that'll work, but very few. I'm going to venture off of the beaten path here and give you a few ideas. Fill it with some plants and put a pair of pygmy sunfish in there. A pair of least killifish could work as well, I think they are one of, if not the smallest livebearer out there. Leptolucania omatta would work as well, they are tiny.

The hard part is going to be keeping stable water conditions in there. Hopefully if you have a good light source you'll be able to keep a large amount of plants in there to help keep the water quality up, but even still you should still have some sort of filtration.

Pygmy sunfish are one of the few species known to survive and even thrive in anoxic conditions but that doesn't mean that it's good to keep them that way.

They are fine at room temp assuming that your house stays somewhere in the 70s.

You'd be able to put a couple of neocaridina sp. shrimp in there as well if you do go with just a pair of these tiny fish.

Otherwise I'd use the tank as a net sterilizing station lol.

Other fine uses
a) Desktop holder for pens/pencils/markers/notepads/etc
b) water change bucket
c) coin bank
d) clear pot for houseplant
e) mixing station for bucket margaritas
f) catch-all for use after a night of bucket margaritas

(please exclude e & f if you are under 21)

jetajockey said:
Other fine uses
b) water change bucket
c) coin bank

Hahahahaha!

Except, depending on your consumption level of E)...it might not be big enough for F). Lol.

I'm on board and vote for shrimp myself personally.

I'm about to get a 3gal tank and keep my snail population in it with one betta.

jetajockey said:
Other fine uses
b) water change bucket
c) coin bank

Good one. I think the 3 gallon would be an awesome shrimp tank. You could breed them and make enough money to get many more tanks. People are asking a lot of money for them....

Back
Top Bottom