Ideas for 36g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently have 1 clown loach (2 inches) and 3 neon tetras. I'm eventually going to get about 5 more neons because I know they do better in large numbers as well as they just look a lot cooler when they school but besides that I am out of ideas. If anyone has any ideas of maybe another colorful schooling fish I would really appreciate it! as well as maybe 1 or 2 other non schooling fish

Most similarily sized tetras will school together, so maybe instead of getting your 5 neons, you get 7/8 other species - lemon, black, all the other ones at petsmart.

The loach needs buddies, they are very social fish. Unfortunately you need a very large tank (120g+) for a group of Clown Loaches. If you like the look of the loach and it's personality, there are smaller varieties you could keep instead. Dwarf Chain Loaches are a good option.

Otherwise, you have a lot of options for colorful schoolers that get along with neons. Bear in mind that they like things on the cooler end of the tropical spectrum, so stick to ones that like similar temps like White Cloud Minnows, Rosy Barbs, Black Skirt Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, etc.

For non-schoolers, a dwarf gourami would look nice. Stick to one male though, as they don't tolerate other males very well. Smaller Killifish may work as well, such as the Gardneri, Lyre-tails, etc. Avoid the large mouthed varieties as they'll try to eat the Neons when they're full grown.

The loach needs buddies, they are very social fish. Unfortunately you need a very large tank (120g+) for a group of Clown Loaches. If you like the look of the loach and it's personality, there are smaller varieties you could keep instead. Dwarf Chain Loaches are a good option.

Otherwise, you have a lot of options for colorful schoolers that get along with neons. Bear in mind that they like things on the cooler end of the tropical spectrum, so stick to ones that like similar temps like White Cloud Minnows, Rosy Barbs, Black Skirt Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, etc.

For non-schoolers, a dwarf gourami would look nice. Stick to one male though, as they don't tolerate other males very well. Smaller Killifish may work as well, such as the Gardneri, Lyre-tails, etc. Avoid the large mouthed varieties as they'll try to eat the Neons when they're full grown.

Yeah thats thats why I think that I'm going to only keep the one Clown loach but I absolutely love him and his personality! I did some research and they said Dwarf Chain Loaches should be kept in groups of at least 5. Would that lead to overcrowding even if their max size is only 2.5"? If not I will probably get them and maybe a dwarf gourami

5+ Dwarf Chain Loaches won't overcrowd as long as the clown loach gets rehomed. Even if you're planning on a larger tank, it's not really fair to keep him solo. A bored/lonely loach is a troublemaker too. You could easily do a school of the Dwarf Chains, plus your tetras, plus a dwarf gourami and have room to spare in a 36g.

Thank you everyone for your input I purchase 5 more neons making for a total of 8 and one dwarf gourami for now. If all goes well I hope to get another gourami because they are beautiful

Back
Top Bottom