Ideas for 5-10 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! So I finally got permission from my mom to get a larger tank for my betta! Thing is, I don't have all that much money to spend. Are those kits that come with everything at the store really worth the money or can I save some money by picking out individual pieces myself? I've been looking for a 5-10 gal set up but am clueless as to what to get. I know the filter is the most important thing. I have a tetra whisper on my 28 gal which seems to do well. I plan on adding some shrimp to the tank and maybe some micro fish that are okay with bettas. Any suggestions on filters or set-ups? I was thinking about just getting the 5 gal aqueon mini-bow kit and adding a heater to it.

The mini bow did great for my betta for nearly a year before I upgraded to a much larger community tank.
The filter cartridges get pricey, but I never replaced them as often as they said to, and often just cut out the carbon anyways.
Go on a window shopping trip and take a look at both kit prices and individual component prices, see what comes to a better deal.
Although, IMO a 10 gal might be better suited to betta, shrimp AND additional fish, but microfish would be fine in a 5 gallon.
Just keep up with your PWC and water tests.

I'm not sure I want to get additional fish and I most likely won't if I only get the 5 gal

Hey there! I also like the Tetra Whispers. Well in a 5 gal. you couldn't do any other fish. Only inverts such as: shrimp, snails and ADF's. But in a 10 gal. you have room for some other fish besides the Betta. You might could do: Tetras(maybe), Platies, Pygmy Cories, Ottos or Rasboras.

jetajockey said:
I agree, the 5g minibow is a nice little tank and comes in a kit at petsmart. I regret opting for a fluval chi instead of the minibow.

I'm a sucker for a bow front ;)

BettaKing said:
Hey there! I also like the Tetra Whispers. Well in a 5 gal. you couldn't do any other fish. Only inverts such as: shrimp, snails and ADF's. But in a 10 gal. you have room for some other fish besides the Betta. You might could do: Tetras(maybe), Platies, Pygmy Cories, Ottos or Rasboras.

IME the raw peas can aggravate even the most laid-back betta at times, they are very zippy and active and go ALL over...

Ok I guess the minibow it is! Besides the betta I was thinking of adding some ghost shrimp (how many?) and maybe a nerite snail. What kind of nano fish could fit in a 5 gal with a betta?

Ok I guess the minibow it is! Besides the betta I was thinking of adding some ghost shrimp (how many?) and maybe a nerite snail. What kind of nano fish could fit in a 5 gal with a betta?
none,a five is only suited for the betta and inverts

If you REALLY want a small fish with the betta, go with a 10 gall, everyone will be much happier,be sure to add hiding places for the shrimp while molting so they don't get eaten.
It will also help the fish coexist more peacefully as well.

I don't really feel like small fish are needed but I was putting it out there in case they would fit in a 5 gal. If I go with the 5 gal and get 1 nerite snail and some ghost shrimp, how many ghost shrimp should I get? Also, what do they eat? I've never had shrimp before.

I prefer no more than 1 inch of shrimp per gallon for a small tank.
They will feed on detritus, left over food, and any algae. But with small tank it is good to help supplement their food with some kind of algae wafer as well.

Aqua315 said:
Thanks! Now to start thinking of how I want to decorate it!!!

I have mine lightly planted for now waiting on the plants to fill out. I get more than enough entertainment from my fish and inverts ;)

Back
Top Bottom