Ideas for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
Without my betta now, I have a basically blank canvas to work with four my 10 gallon planted. The only inhabitant as of now is a gold mystery snail, whom can be moved to another tank if needed.

I'd like to see how creative of ideas I can get here, I'm open to interpretation. The only thing I ask about the stocking is that 1. It is not expensive (no individual that's over $30) and 2. The inhabitant I would be putting in is not exceptionally difficult to take care of.

As I said, the tank is planted but only lightly (no co2 or ferts, low light plants with stock LED lighting) but that may change, and the snail may be moved. Thank you in advance for any input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Dwarf puffers, scarlet badis, African dwarf frogs, maybe dwarf crayfish??

All pretty unique options and I wouldn't consider any "hard" to take care of, just maybe a bit more work than your average neon tetra.

Caleb

Dwarf puffers, scarlet badis, African dwarf frogs, maybe dwarf crayfish??

All pretty unique options and I wouldn't consider any "hard" to take care of, just maybe a bit more work than your average neon tetra.

Caleb
Are dwarf puffers brackish, or am I thinking of a different puffer? The dwarf crayfish seems like a neat idea, although truth be told I have no idea where to buy them from (Liveaquaria and Petsolutions do not seem to have them)

Are dwarf puffers brackish, or am I thinking of a different puffer? The dwarf crayfish seems like a neat idea, although truth be told I have no idea where to buy them from (Liveaquaria and Petsolutions do not seem to have them)

My local LFS has all of those, try a mom and pop store?

No the DP is full freshwater, I own one myself.

http://i.imgur.com/FgmXKlK.jpg

Caleb

My LFS store is unfortunately very limited, and is the only one around for a while, although there may be someone online selling some. And cute little guy, how big will he get (or is that as big as he gets)?

A pair of killifish. You can order them off aquabid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A pair of killifish. You can order them off aquabid

I've always thought killifish look very nice and are somewhat uncommon. Have you kept them before? Are they very difficult to care for?

My LFS store is unfortunately very limited, and is the only one around for a while, although there may be someone online selling some. And cute little guy, how big will he get (or is that as big as he gets)?

They max out at an inch. Very small but big personality :) I have vids on my Instagram.

Caleb

Yes I have some killifish. They have bred for me too. I'd get the non annual kind, easier to deal with as they don't need peat to spawn just a spawning mop usually. I get mine through members of the Chicago Killifish Association.

Micro fish maybe? Boraras brigittae, Danio margaritatus, or some ember tetras.

Perhaps some corydorars pygmaeus, hastatus, or habrosus?

Micro fish maybe? Boraras brigittae, Danio margaritatus, or some ember tetras.

Perhaps some corydorars pygmaeus, hastatus, or habrosus?
CPDs are definitely a consideration for me. Granted they would be by themselves (with the exception of the snail)

Perhaps a shirmp tank? Shirmps are more fragile, but I never had a problem with them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Perhaps a shirmp tank? Shirmps are more fragile, but I never had a problem with them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I actually have a 5.5g im setting up for a shrimp tank! I find them unique and interesting, I wanna try my hand at them haha

How big does the puffer grow and can they be housed with other fish such as guppies and otocinclus catfish

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

Otocinclus maybe. that's the only fish that's been proven to work long term in most cases. Puffers are very territorial. I keep mine alone with a ghost shrimp right now. They are not community friendly.

Caleb

Otocinclus maybe. that's the only fish that's been proven to work long term in most cases. Puffers are very territorial. I keep mine alone with a ghost shrimp right now. They are not community friendly.

Caleb

Aww thanks anyway

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

African dwarf 3-4 African dwarf frogs would be good. They eat bloodworms but require a few more plants and a cave for when they are young. Maybe you could put a 2-3 tetras in depending on the kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm liking this puffer idea. I have 2 in a 5.5 and as far as I can see they like it. In a 10 gallon I might do 3-4 dwarf puffers, a couple oto's, 3-4 Amano shrimp and make it very heavily planted. Dwarf puffers are pretty easy to take care of and are completely freshwater. It sounds strange that pufferfish can live in freshwater, but yes, it's true :) I feed mine frozen bloodworms, but live food is even better. Be careful feeding blackworms because if the fish are so used to it and you try feeding something frozen they won't care for it. This the mistake I made and now one of my puffers is having some trouble accepting the idea that this is the only food he will be getting :D If you are up to the main challenge of feeding puffers then it's a good idea. People like to say that they are very messy but so far this seems like a myth to me. You don't need overfiltration, but it of course does help.

If you don't feel the puffs, then why not try some scarlet badis, celestial pearl danios and some kind of cool looking shrimp? Maybe 3 scarlet badis, 8 CPD and a whole bunch of RCS. That's what I would do. But I would get the RCS first so that you get a bi colony going. Once you have lot and there are always shrimplets everywhere then that's when I would add scarlet badis because they are finicky eaters too and they would be able to constantly feed on shrimplets. I've never personally had scarlet badis but I've heard that they can be shy and hard to feed.
On last fish that you probably won't want to do because of availability is the red eyed, red tailed puffer. Cool fish and only gets about 2". You could probably only do 1 in a 10 though. I don't much more about them other than that so good luck lol.
Now, on to the plants. Most fish suited for a 10 gallon appreciate a planted tank. You can easily use DIY Co2 for less than $1. I use a cigarette filter to diffuse it and it works awesome. Really has increased plant growth A LOT. Some easy, low light plants are anacharis, hornwort, java moss and water sprite. Anubias works too, but you have to be careful how you plant it. I'm sure you already know this but Anubias has a rhizome that needs to be kept above ground or the plant will die. This means that you should either tie it to driftwood, rock or just plant the roots in the substrate and leave the rhizome above ground.
That's all I have to say, if you have any more questions about dwarf puffs or anything else let me know!

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm liking the CPD or Badis ideas. The puffer also sounds interesting.

Would any of the fish mentioned be compatible with dwarf crayfish? Im combining some ideas here lol. From what I've gathered, DC don't bother other fish as long as they're not tiny

Cpd and the badis are tiny. My badis hang out at the bottom of my tank and have little territories. Really not sure crays.

Back
Top Bottom