Ideas for an algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get a couple of algae eaters. I don't want anything too big or that needs to be in a shoal...something around 3-4 inches. I have angels, guppies, neons and corycats in there now. I will be adding either a pearl gourami or blood
parrot eventually so something that will get along with all of those fish. Any ideas? Thanks guys. :) Oh and my tank is 48 gallons if that makes any difference.

pleco that stays small, i think bristlenose stay pretty small
i don't think a blood red parrot is ideal for that tank. it will probably go after the angels, guppies and neons.

You might consider Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) - Crossocheilus siamensis or a rubber lip pleco. Bristlenose plecos seem to be available only once or twice a year. I have a clown pleco that is only about 3 inches but is very shy. Stay away from chinese algae eaters, flying foxes and false siamese algae eaters. If you deiced to get a siamese algae eater do your reseach because they are easily confused with the flying fox.

In the wild neons are a natural food for angelfish. Some people have very good luck with the combination so it is a hit or miss. My angels would say "OOOH new to the menu today" they hunt and eat swordtail babies on a regular bases. One went after a cory that was about an inch long his eyes were bigger than his mouth.

I'd say otos, since they eat the more "common" types of algae, but SAE's are a good choice too; however, both are schooling fish.

If you want a loner, pleco is basically the only way to go imo.

bristlenose pleco with a driftwood for him to chew on
they stay small and are a great algae cleaner...also a poop machine
i used to see long string of poop attached to him all the time...

Joy....I`ve had the neons and angels together since they were little so I`m hoping they`ll be ok.

I`ll have to check out the siamese algae eaters. What is the minimum number for them to be happy
I heard that ottos die easily. Is that true

It totally depends on where you get them from. I got 5 for my 29 gallon, and haven't lost one, when my favorite lfs doesn't even stock them because the casuality rate is so high. My best suggestion is to buy them at least a week after they were shipped, so you get the stronger ones.

I know several people that keep only 2 SAE in their tank.

The reason otos die easily is because they are wild caught and don't adjust well. I always QT them for at least a month, I don't want to wipe out a tank of fish because of a parasite or disease. They are put in tanks with no algae for sale so by the time they are bought they are starving to death. One thing I have found if I put broccoli in the tank and the fish eats and eats at it usually they will make it. The petsmart here actually feed them zucchini and I have very good luck with their otos. At least 2 times aweek I feed them some type of vegetable just to be sure they are getting enough to eat. I feed my bristlenose and plecos vegetables too.

I have never had a problem finding bristlenose any time of year. I guess it is where you are at. They are mostly breed captively so you don't have some of the problems as with wild caught fish.
Siamese algae eaters seem to be impossible for me to find locally, I wanted some to take care of some black hair algae as they are the only fish that I know of that will eat it.
I have had a single oto for quite a while and never had a problem with him.
All algae eaters need to have their food suplimented with wafers, veggies ect... and should not be expected to live on just the algae in the tank.

I have BN and still have a huge algea problem. I have cut my lights down to 8 hours a day and now do twice a week water changes but it well take time to see results.
No luck with ottos here either they just die so I stopped getting them.
If you can find american flag fish they are suppose to eat the stuff but hard to find at least here anyways.
Good Luck

We have 2 banded gara's and they are brilliant.

They do their job but are also entertaining. They often look like they are synchronised swimming together.

The cat loves watching them, although it does frustrate her at times!

I wound up getting a BN pleco. Cute little fella. It took him a few days to venture out from hiding. I got him a nice piece of wood and he loves it. I've been feeding him some veggies too and that got him to come out a bit more. I guess he couldn't resist. lol What's a banded gara? I tried to look them up but couldn't find anything.

Back
Top Bottom