Ideas for keeping temperature down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizfiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently summer has kicked in here and we posted a 95 degree day today. Good for me, bad for fish. I looked at my tank today and noticed very little activity from my barbs and loaches, at first I thought one fish was dead, just floating around.. So checked the water temp and its at 85 degrees. Any suggestions on how to keep the temp down? I put some ice cubes in and opened the top to let the air blow across but it hasnt really had much of an effect.

They sell chillers for tanks, but they are expensive. Besides that, all you can really do is keep the inside temp down with A/C or fans and keep the tank out of any sunlight.

My advise is to turn out the aquarium lights when you're not in the room, and cool the room down if possible. Some people will aim a fan right on the water. I don't know how effective this is.

There are all sorts of ways to use ice cubes (made from dechlorinated water)/ice packs in the path of your filter outflow, but it is a terribly imprecise way to go about things, so you do need to monitor such a thing closely so you do not end up with arctic fish.

A fan blowing across the surface of the water or getting AC for the room is the best advise I can think of.. the ice can do but its a tough one to manage for an entire summer..

megladonsharky said:
I use a/c and multiple fans..
Not to hijack thread but I have a ?? can I unplugg the heater in the summer??

Why? Your heater shuts off if its too hot anyway, and it might get cold over the night.

Tony Starks said:
megladonsharky said:
I use a/c and multiple fans..
Not to hijack thread but I have a ?? can I unplugg the heater in the summer??

Why? Your heater shuts off if its too hot anyway, and it might get cold over the night.

Thanks fdor reminding me...lol.. that is why I ask silly ??

My advise is to turn out the aquarium lights when you're not in the room

Along the same lines, you can swap your lighting cycle so that the lights are on when it's cooler (at night) and the lights are off when warmer (during the day).

lately I've been using water bottles cleaned off and then filled and frozen. 1L bottles work perfect, they only last about a 1/2 hour but I find one bottle will drop my temp .5-1deg. Just keep an eye on the temp and make sure you aren't going too cold too fast.

Good Idea, but I like the window AC unit idea to also allow wizfiz to enjoy some of the coolness :mrgreen: I just crank the AC down a notch or two to enjoy the extra cool myself!

Back
Top Bottom