Ideas for stocking a 20 gal community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ematthews

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I have a fairly new tank that I started up about a month ago. I had some trouble at first with some red eye tetras I got from Walmart. Im still not sure if it was my tank or the fish, because my zebra Danios did fine. Right now I have three black phantom tetras, a pepper cory cat (I think), five zebra Danios, and an otocinclus. Everything has been going perfectly for the past 2 weeks or so (my waters a little hard, but that's because of the tap water), and i'm looking to get some new fish. I think i'm going to give my zebra Danios to my dad because they were kind of just cheap starter fish, and I don't particularly love how they look. So now that my tank seems established, I am thinking that I want to get maybe another Cory, a few more black phantoms, some other schooling fish such as neon tetras, and 1 or 2 "centerpiece fish" (red tailed shark, gouramis, rams, apistogrammas, etc.). Any ideas?

Right now you have some minor issues that you need to touch upon before you get ANYTHING more. Otocinclus like planted tanks and to be in groups, so I would get some live plants. Cory cats also like to be in groups, so he/she may be stressed right now. Is this your first tank? If it is, I would stick to the easy fish like zebra danios. Otocinclus are somewhat hard to care for, and not for beginners either. As a centerpiece type fish, in my first tank I got a dwarf gourami. Very pretty fish, and they have personalities too! PM me if you have other questions or want more opinions/ideas!

Right now you have some minor issues that you need to touch upon before you get ANYTHING more. Otocinclus like planted tanks and to be in groups, so I would get some live plants. Cory cats also like to be in groups, so he/she may be stressed right now. Is this your first tank? If it is, I would stick to the easy fish like zebra danios. Otocinclus are somewhat hard to care for, and not for beginners either. As a centerpiece type fish, in my first tank I got a dwarf gourami. Very pretty fish, and they have personalities too! PM me if you have other questions or want more opinions/ideas!

Actually I have been doing a lot of research since I started this tank. My tank is definitely cycled and it has recently been planted with hardy lowlight plants. I am thinking of having two or three otos, three cories (deciding between three or four because of my smaller tank size and fairly heavy load), six black phantoms, six cardinals, and a gourami. All sound good?

Edit: not my first tank although I did not know much about caring for fish the first time around.

Actually I have been doing a lot of research since I started this tank. My tank is definitely cycled and it has recently been planted with hardy lowlight plants. I am thinking of having two or three otos, three cories (deciding between three or four because of my smaller tank size and fairly heavy load), six black phantoms, six cardinals, and a gourami. All sound good?

Edit: not my first tank although I did not know much about caring for fish the first time around.

Well I'm glad you're doing the research! :dance: That sounds a bit overstocked. I would cut down the two schools of cardinals and phantoms to 4 fish. Even then you're on the edge once they're fully grown. But then again, the plants will keep the water quality pretty good. And, weekly water changes will probably keep everybody in check. Definitely get 4 cories, and then 3 otos. They feel much safer in numbers. They have some really small cories out there though, like the pygmy so that can keep the bioload down. All of those fish are good together, so that would really work! Anybody else have any opinions? There are so many possible combinations you could do, that other opinions will make life so much easier. :lol:

Well I'm glad you're doing the research! :dance: That sounds a bit overstocked. I would cut down the two schools of cardinals and phantoms to 4 fish. Even then you're on the edge once they're fully grown. But then again, the plants will keep the water quality pretty good. And, weekly water changes will probably keep everybody in check. Definitely get 4 cories, and then 3 otos. They feel much safer in numbers. They have some really small cories out there though, like the pygmy so that can keep the bioload down. All of those fish are good together, so that would really work! Anybody else have any opinions? There are so many possible combinations you could do, that other opinions will make life so much easier. :lol:

You're probably right on the over stocking. I'm hoping to upgrade my tank eventually and with weekly water changes, I think I could probably do five cardinals, five black phantoms, and the rest of what you said (four just seems too few and cardinals don't get TOO big). The only fish I'm really curious for more ideas on is the cardinals. Any other small schooling fish could take its place, if there are other ideas.

By the way, is there any way I could move this thread to freshwater general or freshwater getting started?

The only fish I'm really curious for more ideas on is the cardinals. Any other small schooling fish could take its place, if there are other ideas.

I recently bought a school of Harlequin rasboras for my 55g community. They are really really peaceful, energetic, and good schoolers; so if you are looking for a good schooling fish those would be a great choice.

Back
Top Bottom