Ideas for the "DPW 10 Gallon"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the guys at the DPW(Department of Public Works) were given a 10 gallon tank. I scaped it and set it up. It's currently cycling. Fish less using ammonia (my first time) always done a fish in but with a small tank I wanna be safe.

It has a AC20 on it, Petco heater and a ZooMed 50/50 T8 18" bulb in a Aqueon fixture.

Any suggestions for some cool fish for the boys and girls down at the DPW.

img_2479528_0_a760a227491e53f94292b03a45316e4b.jpg

img_2479528_1_9de7b435ade966348f654b84de6dce42.jpg

Found the rocks in the woods. Had sand left over and they all chipped in so I got them 2 banana plants. I wanna keep the scape simple like it is so...

I'd be glad to hear what everyone thinks. My first tank job lol!

EDIT: also added media from one of the tanks at the firehouse, hoping to speed up the cycle process.

I would do an easy centerpiece fish and a small school of rasboras. I think having only one main fish and keeping the stock low would allow people who are not used to fish be able to become more attached. In my ten gallon I have a betta and 5 harlequin rasboras and its a surprisingly good stock in my opinion. I also went with easy plants and low tech on it, it has a fluval ac30 on it with an aqueon plant growth t8 bulb in the normal fixture. If you're okay with spending an extra $5 I would suggest a background plant, something like bacopa caroliniana. I bought mine from petsmart in one of those bags and it has done extremely well. Here's a shot of my 10

image-2268976229.jpg

I had just trimmed everything in half so its not looking as good as it does when they've got some height to them but might give you an idea

Edit: tank looks really good btw, and its great that you've put forth the effort to do this for a local agency

I would do an easy centerpiece fish and a small school of rasboras. I think having only one main fish and keeping the stock low would allow people who are not used to fish be able to become more attached. In my ten gallon I have a betta and 5 harlequin rasboras and its a surprisingly good stock in my opinion. I also went with easy plants and low tech on it, it has a fluval ac30 on it with an aqueon plant growth t8 bulb in the normal fixture. If you're okay with spending an extra $5 I would suggest a background plant, something like bacopa caroliniana. I bought mine from petsmart in one of those bags and it has done extremely well. Here's a shot of my 10

I had just trimmed everything in half so its not looking as good as it does when they've got some height to them but might give you an idea

Edit: tank looks really good btw, and its great that you've put forth the effort to do this for a local agency

Thanks! I'll look into that plant. Is the light good enough? It's this bulb.

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=118&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

I'm trying to well, not go really cheap but keep budget low.

Once again, tank looks great! I know it's not yours:) with a darker coloring to the tank, personally, I'd go with a larger yellow or orange colored fish. Maybe a dg.

I'm not sure about your bulb, I don't know anything about it. I do know that the bacopa has grown well for me under all my lights, t5ho, t5, and t8.

The light was bothering me so I had some store credit. I got the TruLumen LED strip daylight/rosea. Much much better now.

img_2481669_0_e0c827f6548d5823471c328b10c88002.jpg

I would stock it with some inverts, those always interest people. Maybe 2-4 Amano shrimp, 3 nerite snails and a dwarf frog. Then a couple fish, like a small school of rasbora.

I would stock it with some inverts, those always interest people. Maybe 2-4 Amano shrimp, 3 nerite snails and a dwarf frog. Then a couple fish, like a small school of rasbora.

That sounds really cool actually. The frog, are they easy?

Love the shrimp and snail idea for sure!

Back
Top Bottom