Identification Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDouglas50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought a little betta from walmart about two weeks ago. He was in an unlabeled container, in less than an inch of crud riddled water. I mean, it was bad. I couldn't let the little guy die like all the others on the shelves around him, so I went against my better judgement and all the advise telling me to get healthy fish, and bought him anyway. After numerous water changes, feedings, and a good dose of ick medication, he's been increasingly active over the last couple of days.

After feeling like he's dodged a bullet, I'm really starting to wonder, what is he? I think he's a crowntail, but he was so stressed out and his fins are so damaged, I can't tell (that, and he is my first fish). I was just wondering if any of you know better.

Attachments

• image-3918761537.jpg
    image-3918761537.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-305757172.jpg
    image-305757172.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-533375959.jpg
    image-533375959.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 71
Sometimes when I'm at my LFS I try to tell people how to do a fishless cycle and things like that instead of what the guys from the LFS recommend, doing it with fish. Unfortunately, is too much information for them to understand it in a casual conversation.

Yeah. I had no idea about cycles or anything like that. He was an impulsive buy, but he seems to be doing great

it looks like a crowntail, in which case thats how they are supposed to look

You did an awesome job rescuing the poor guy. For fin repair you could use melafix to just help heal any fin rot issue.

Yes, his fins will grow back. Crowntails (if thats what he is) have tattered looking fins, but he still looks ragged even for a crowntail (imo). Consistently clean water will allow his fins to heal.

absolutangel04 said:
Yes, his fins will grow back. Crowntails (if thats what he is) have tattered looking fins, but he still looks ragged even for a crowntail (imo). Consistently clean water will allow his fins to heal.

That's what I thought was going on. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing

Back
Top Bottom