Identification - Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparkleEm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a few puffer fish a week ago at a local store (pictures below). The tank they were in was labelled as dwarf puffer, but one of the people working there said that they had just come in and were actually baby ceylons. I started doing some research online and am now thoroughly confused about which type of puffer I own. I'd like to figure this out as soon as possible because some stay in freshwater and others would need to be transitioned to brackish. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• puffer1.jpg
    puffer1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 98
  • puffer2.jpg
    puffer2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 105
  • puffer4.jpg
    puffer4.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 100
  • puffer3.jpg
    puffer3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 103
I'd upgrade the tank to brackish, as basically all puffers aren't "true" freshwater, but are actually brackish water fish, and some will move up to saltwater as they mature. I'd put in some snails like MTS for them to eat and keep their teeth nice and trimmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, don't make it brackish! I agree with aok, those look like dwarf puffers to me and they are in fact pure freshwater fish! (keegster is right about 99% of puffers though)

In any case, even if they aren't dwarfs, they'll do well enough if freshwater long enough for you to find that out, while if they're dwarfs, putting them in brackish will kill them.

Sorry about that, didnt realize that dwarf puffers were true freshwater... Thanks for the correction sinibotia

Sorry about that, didnt realize that dwarf puffers were true freshwater... Thanks for the correction sinibotia

No worries, I only know it because I just got some myself and those look just like mine.

They do look thin though. They may have internal parasites.

I'd upgrade the tank to brackish, as basically all puffers aren't "true" freshwater, but are actually brackish water fish, and some will move up to saltwater as they mature. I'd put in some snails like MTS for them to eat and keep their teeth nice and trimmed.

Oh look a cute little dwarf puffer..

Dwarf puffers are the ONLY puffers I'm aware of that can stay freshwater and be healthy their whole lives. Other puffers can start brackish and eventually move to full marine tanks.

DP need a good supply of snails. Pest snails like Pond Snails are great for them and they will burn through a colony faster than you think. I would have a small secondary tank just for keeping a snail colony you can feed them. If trained, DP can also accept frozen bloodworms.

DP are also the ONLY puffers that DO NOT need their teeth trimmed. Terrance, a very known puffer keeper on here has proved this.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh look a cute little dwarf puffer..

Dwarf puffers are the ONLY puffers I'm aware of that can stay freshwater and be healthy their whole lives. Other puffers can start brackish and eventually move to full marine tanks.

DP need a good supply of snails. Pest snails like Pond Snails are great for them and they will burn through a colony faster than you think. I would have a small secondary tank just for keeping a snail colony you can feed them. If trained, DP can also accept frozen bloodworms.

DP are also the ONLY puffers that DO NOT need their teeth trimmed. Terrance, a very known puffer keeper on here has proved this.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

There are a few more species of pure freshwater puffer- the one that comes to mind is the red eye puffer. That said, nearly all of the ones sold for aquariums are brackish or saltwater.

There are a few more species of pure freshwater puffer- the one that comes to mind is the red eye puffer. That said, nearly all of the ones sold for aquariums are brackish or saltwater.

I figured there was I just meant that I am aware of. I'll have to look into the red eye ;)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I figured there was I just meant that I am aware of. I'll have to look into the red eye ;)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They stay pretty small, not quite as small as dwarfs but around 3 inches. Good choice for smaller species tanks.

OP, what's your setup for these guys?

I like the idea of keeping a snail colony. I'm going to start that tomorrow. I've been struggling to get them to eat. I was doing bloodworms initially and they just picked at them and lost interest pretty quickly. I switched to frozen brine shrimp today and they went crazy for them! I'll definitely keep doing shrimp and add snails in as well.

I have a 10g setup with a Pengiun Bio-Wheel Power Filter - the one for a 20g. I have a big rock with caves in it and a smaller rock. Substrate is a living sand.

I like the idea of keeping a snail colony. I'm going to start that tomorrow. I've been struggling to get them to eat. I was doing bloodworms initially and they just picked at them and lost interest pretty quickly. I switched to frozen brine shrimp today and they went crazy for them! I'll definitely keep doing shrimp and add snails in as well.

I have a 10g setup with a Pengiun Bio-Wheel Power Filter - the one for a 20g. I have a big rock with caves in it and a smaller rock. Substrate is a living sand.

Sounds great. I would just pay attention to the current from the filter. DP are not the best swimmers so if they are struggling to fight the current you may need to adjust or mod the filter intake/output.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom