Identification of this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could you get a picture of it's whole body with fins and all? It'd really help. :) Looks like a nice fish so far lol

Well, from what I can tell, I think you are correct, senorkevin. I think it's an american eel. What I've read on them, they live in freshwater but spawn only in saltwater conditions. It's hard to say whether it should live in brackish conditions, but I'm guessing that keeping it in slightly salty water would probably wouldn't hurt it (unless it lives with other freshwater fish). These eels can get HUGE though.
:hide: Now I think I'll have nightmares about eels- after Googling various eels and all. :lol:

Well that's something to look forward to! I'm getting sick of buying fish and the seller saying it is ok if freshwater, it won't fight, it won't grow big, it is perfect for your tank etc etc etc. I need to re home so many fish but I don't know anyone

I wasn't aware that people could keep american eels in aquariums. Well, I guess it's obviously possible, but I know that they thrive well in the wild, in the gulfs and the like. Sometimes they can be found in rivers too.

If it is an american eel, then it needs freshwater until it is ready to breed, when it will leave your tank and head for the ocean :)

Well that's something to look forward to! I'm getting sick of buying fish and the seller saying it is ok if freshwater, it won't fight, it won't grow big, it is perfect for your tank etc etc etc. I need to re home so many fish but I don't know anyone

That's why it's best to research and ask before buying fish :) most sellers' primary concern is getting your money so of course they're going to tell you any fish is "perfect" for your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom