Identify my shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew.hinds

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i got this shark at my lps and he said it was a bala shark. So im guessing thats why my lps closed. Anyways I concluded he was a white tail shark and now, about a year later, im not sure. Colombian maybe? I dont know. can anybody help?

ForumRunner_20120121_083417.jpg

ForumRunner_20120121_083400.jpg

I has a couple of those many years ago and I was sold them as Columbian Sharks if that helps!

A google search on Columbian Shark will give all the alternative names and details for the fish!

The colombian shark and the silver tipped shark are the same species, some just call them different names.

It's also a brackish fish that will need to move into brackish water soon and needs very ample tank space. Here is a good article about them, although I suggest you do more research before you decide what you want to do with him.

Ya looks like a silver tip. Quick story.

I had bought two crazy looking swordtail from my LFS, for $3.99 so i went online and looked up what it was and they were the rare and expensive "blood red sail fins". So I had them for about two weeks and went back to the fish store and saw another cool looking catfish about 5 inches long. Turned out to be a silver tip. Woke up the next morning and there was red fins sticking out of his mouth!!! He ate BOTH of them, and he died because of it. Now I NEVER buy a fish unless I know what it is.

If they are a brackish fish what are the chances of being able to slowly and i mean slowly acclimate them to full saltwater? Just a crazy idea...

well he was already all the way fresh water when i got him but he has really been healthy if it isnt broke dont fix it

The link that was posted said they need full marine as an adult. Of course, you should verify that with a few other sources. But there are quite a few brackish species that need full marine as adults so it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

drew.hinds said:
well he was already all the way fresh water when i got him but he has really been healthy if it isnt broke dont fix it

They only live in Freshwater as juveniles. They die if they don't get salt as they get older. The fish needs what it needs, when it needs it.

Back
Top Bottom