Identify Rainbow Fish with Pictures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone help me with the id of these rainbow fish?

They were identified as red rainbow and turquoise rainbow at the lfs. However fish base doesn't have turquoise rainbow as a common name that I could find and I couldn't find it in the photos. The red rainbow, there are several "red" rainbowfish and I'm not sure either, I have a couple of guesses but I'd like to hear what you think. I don't know if either of them are mature or not. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• rainbow_one_169.jpg
    rainbow_one_169.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 211
other one

Don't know why the turquoise didn't post too, :oops: here it is.

Attachments

• rainbow_two_118.jpg
    rainbow_two_118.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 153
rainbowfish

Thanks for the site. I agree the turquoise is aka Lake Kutubu I'll have to look that up on fish base. The red kind of looks like the australian rainbowfish, except it has only one dark strip instead of two with grey inbetween. Is that something that becomes fore defined with age, or differs with the sexes?

Rainbows' colors get nicer and usually change slightly as they age. I'm not really sure what that first one is, give it some time to color up and it would likely be easier to make a better guess.

I love rainbow fish! From the looks of it, you have a young goyder river rainbow there. They are australian rainbows under the genus Melanotaenia. They are very hardy when kept in clean water and feed a varied diet. I have to two myself that are around 2 years old and 3.5 inches. Yours has a long way to go in terms of coloring up. That's the fun part of keeping rainbows......they really do evolve into beautiful fish as they mature, which gives me much satisfaction to watch as an avid rainbow fan myself.

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like when they mature. I hope it is Goyder River Rainbowfish, they look great! Their not very old now, I think, but they should live long happy lives. I'll post a pic again once they mature more.

Cheers!

Here are my Mature Splendida's. The first one may be a juvenile of one of these...

Proserpinaca_palustris.JPG

Back
Top Bottom