Identify this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redearedbomber

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey you guys,
I need help determining what this is growing on my rocks in a 55g bowfront. The tank is 2 months old originally cycled with established bacteria from another tank of mine.
Stocking so far is only 4 black skirt tetras and a 8" pleco.

sunsun 404b canister. Paramaters are 0 0 .5
Marineland double bright 36" 10 hour on periods

This looks like some type of yellow algea but i am unsure and that is why i need your help.
Also if there are any recommendations towards a solution i would freatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks to all!

T.W(y)

Attachments

• ResizedImage951349893718051.jpg
    ResizedImage951349893718051.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 59
Okay, from what i read thats what i was leaning towards. Any corrections i need to make to prevent it or should i let it run its course??

redearedbomber said:
Okay, from what i read thats what i was leaning towards. Any corrections i need to make to prevent it or should i let it run its course??

It will just run its course. Is the tank cycled? If it bothers you the. You can add a small CUC some snails and maybe a couple of hermit crabs. That's what I did to help control it but in the end it is what it island will go away.

It's a good sign believe it or not.

Will hermit crabs do well in a community aquarium? And what type of snails and how many for a 55g would be best?
Thought hermit crabs needed to dry out now and then.

Final stocking is planned as follows.

Current : 4 black skirt tetras
Current: common pleco, rehome when necessary then bristlenose
4-6 orange laser corys
10-20 tetras undecided
2 Bolivian Rams
2 blue ghost wild Angels

Thoughts on final stocking as well?

redearedbomber said:
Will hermit crabs do well in a community aquarium? And what type of snails and how many for a 55g would be best?
Thought hermit crabs needed to dry out now and then.

Final stocking is planned as follows.

Current : 4 black skirt tetras
Current: common pleco, rehome when necessary then bristlenose
4-6 orange laser corys
10-20 tetras undecided
2 Bolivian Rams
2 blue ghost wild Angels

Thoughts on final stocking as well?

I'm sorry, I was mixed up. Thought it was a saltwater tank.

Just stock your tank and you'll be fine. It's gonna go away.

redearedbomber said:
Okay i was mixed up to. No hermits in a freshwater:facepalm:

Yea my fault, going back and fourth from freshwater to saltwater has my head spinning right now. Sorry for that.

I don't recommend putting algae eaters in a tank to combat diatoms. They will literally go away all on their own if you give them time.

Do you agree aqua chem that it looks like diatoms? Also my common pleco is in there only because i had to remove him from a enclosure that was much to small. He will probably only be in the 55 for a year or so.

Lol alright. How can i test for silica from my water source? I read a few things saying it pften comes from the source of prepared water.

Back
Top Bottom