identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:oops: i'm a bit embarrassed to say,but today purchased some rosy barbs to go with some other rosies we already had.

When i got home i noticed an "extra" and different fish in the batch!!!
certainly not a rosy barb

called petco back askin what it is and they dont know,nor do they have any others like it.
:roll:

I have no photo-

but it should be an easy one for the gurus here i'm hoping??

it certainly is a "barb"

in general appearance it looks like a very large cherry barb-
about 2 inches -
except its colorations is very yellow /gold with white underside and a few pepper /black flakes

essientially looks like the rosy barb in all fin placement and size ,,but much chubbier body.

all are in QT
just curious what it is,,

its very bright almost a flourescent orange/yellow

thanks!

Could it be a Golden Barb? They look just like Cherry Barbs(females) except they lack the distinct stripe and are a slightly lighter color.

thanks for the replies!

fins/tail are the same bright gold/yellow/orange as the body with the anal fin being white like the underside of the fish.

could be a golden barb as i have never seen one to compare-
and no idea how large they get-
this thing dwarfs my cherry barbs-
as it is about 2 inches long (without tail) and at least an inch wide,, as big as the curent rosy barbs but much fatter.

no stripe as you mentiomned just a few light black speckles over the day glow yellow
it is scholling with the rosys.. *shrugs*

i'm going to go look at more profiles and check out a golden barb pic-
again thanks

The Gold Barb, Barbus (Puntius) sachsi, does indeed resemble an overgrown Cherry Barb (Barbus titteya) in general shape but has characteristics similar to some that you describe. There is also a 'Neon' Gold Barb that has much-enhanced colors. You can see pictures of Gold Barbs at the link below:

http://www.aquariumfish.com.my/fishnotes/goldbarb.html

There are also some selectively-bred color morphs of the Rosy Barb, Barbus (Puntius) conchonius, that have a distinct yellowish hue to them.

Lately I've seen something called a 'Banana Barb' in some of my local fish stores. I haven't been able to identify it yet but it is very definitely banana yellow in color!

Thanks again!

fruitbat, after reviewing th profiles and pics - it is indeed a very bright gold barb or a neon gold barb as it isnt so much "gold" but day glo yellow/orange

i need to look at the fish closer when i leave the store!! lol

mayby photograph him/her in good light and we can have a look! :idea:

Back
Top Bottom