Identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dont155

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please give me the precise scientific name of this Rainbowfish?

img_717335_0_1f2e497c9a6b8ea9615bd6e06089a44a.jpg

The store listed it simply as an "Australian Rainbowfish" But I'd like to confirm that the listing on the store's tank was correct. There seem to be several varieties of Rainbowfish from Australia.

Thanks,
Don T.

common australian rainbow fish. I will try and find the sci. name.

EDIT:

I believe its Melanotaenia splendida australis.

I would agree. Rainbow taxonomy is difficult, especially when the fish most people see look nothing like all the pictures! There are many species and varieties of rainbows from Australia and New Guinea. Many of the common rainbows may be hybrids anyway.

Thanks guys, I have three of the Australian guys. The one pictured is the biggest right now. I also have two Melanotaenia Boesemani, here's one of them:

img_717630_0_3e326bcc7a10268afd99f9402f701dcc.jpg

Rainbows are CooL fish, I'm glad I picked them. Its almost a frenzy at feeding time, I've been feeding them Daphina, Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp. They're growing fast too. :D

-Don T.

They seem to be showing nice colors, in spite of the flash LOL! Looks like you're doing a good job with them. In addition to what you are already feeding, I would vary their diet more with a good staple food like high-quality flake and tiny pellets.

severum mama said:
In addition to what you are already feeding, I would vary their diet more with a good staple food like high-quality flake and tiny pellets.

and of course, any bugs you find around the house.

LoL, They tend to spit flake out, and I did try small [granules?] (they look like little spheres) Anyway, those still seem to be too big for them as they spit those out too. It's been a bit fustrating trying to find other things that they will readily eat.

lol I understand. They might like new life spectrum small fish pellets, but then again, they may not. That's what we feed the rainbows in the store.

Flightless or wingless fruit flies are a blast and fairly easy to culture. Grindal worms are very easy to culture and harvest. Maybe confused flour beetles but they may have to be a little larger before them. I love live food, the fish just love them I just wish I had room to raise them all.

My rainbows LOVE the New Life spectrum small fish community granules....but then again they LOVE any and all food they can cram into their mouths, including the algae wafers and shrimp pellets that I put in for my plecos and cories!

Back
Top Bottom