identify this roundworm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was planting in my 5gal and this worm popped out of the sand. Any ideas on what it is? is it harmful to my fish and shrimp? is it harmful to me?

Attachments

• DSC_0466.jpg
    DSC_0466.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0465.jpg
    DSC_0465.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 135
Looks like some kind of a nematode to me. Other than that, I cannot offer much insight. A lot of nematodes are parasites, but there are free-living species that are harmless.

Don't think it is a nematode. They usually don't appear so visibly segmented.

Looks like either a tubifex worm or a black worm. Since it sounds like it came in with some plants, I'm leaning towards tubifex worms. It looks more like one and tubifex live in the sand. They can often come in with plants.

Black worms also usually have a foul odor associated with them.

In either case they are harmless to your fish. In fact most fish will consider them a treat!

I guess you can actually see the segments within the body. Pretty cool. Do aquatic oligochaetes not have a clitellum?

It appears that they do, but it is thin. Only 1 cell layer and it is located over the gonopores or further forward. Don't know how that works out in the water. I guess the cocoon it secretes is thicker, but I'm no expert.

I read too bloody much. Just ask my wife! ;)

BTW, thanks herp mommy for the clear picture. Too often we are asked to identify something and we can barely see it!

no no no, your all wrong. its the might man eating worm! fear it, im suprised you still have a finger left!

But alas, i agree with shadows origanal posting, i hope i didnt disturb to much:)

Wow. Lots of information :D I looked at videos of tubifex, and the movement is similar. So I'm going with that also. Hopefully there aren't that many more in the tank.

Wow. Lots of information :D I looked at videos of tubifex, and the movement is similar. So I'm going with that also. Hopefully there aren't that many more in the tank.

It really doesn't matter if there were you know. I guarantee that the fish will take care of them eventually.

These worms are often sold freeze-dried, in cubes, frozen or live as food for fish. They are completely harmless and, as your fish would say, completely tasty too!

Back
Top Bottom