identify this tetra pics included!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i thought it was a red/blue columbian tetra but now im not so sure.
5883728230_113391319a.jpg

5883166849_88f7ab6537.jpg

5883731926_56c9c5ccb8.jpg

the top one in the first two pics

We've got blue tetras and they look like that. They have iridescent bodies that have blue green pink and lilac hues to them. I can't be 100% from the pics but they look like blue tetras.

Definitely not a congo. Tail shape and body shape and color is all wrong. Could be blue tetra...Lemon tetras have red-orange eyes so it's probably not that either. I'd say wait a while longer and let its colors develop more. Right now it's too washed out to ID properly.

edit: not a blue tetra body shape is wrong.

My best guess is a really washed out lemon....But they're so many tetra species it could be any one's guess really.

Or you could have bought albino/leucistic fish.

Last edited:
Bought myself 6 Glowlight Tetra yesterday, was hilarious watching them work out the pecking order.

^I second that, they do look like really washed out Lemon Tetras to me.

do lemons have sparkles naturaly? and should i just leave them with my columbians bc they seem to be schooling with them?

Yes if they are new then its most likely the cause of their color being washed out. And to answer your other question, I don't think that would be a problem

Definitely not a lemon IMO. Lemons have red eyes, this fish doesn't. It also doesn't have the black markings on the finnage. The markings don't fade even if the fish is looking washed out IME.

You can't really go on body shape for an ID because many members of the genus Hyphessobrycon are going to have the same shape.

The body shape looks wrong for a lemon, not streamlined enough. The dorsal fin doesn't look right either, but it could be a variant. The anal fin is dead on for a lemon though.

Even being washed out, it still doesn't seem to have enough fin coloration to be a lemon either.

Here is a healthy lemon tetra in action:
lemon_tetra_care.jpg

It is definitely not a Congo or Blue Tetra. It could be a Serpae variant.

Can you provide a larger image? That would make it easier to identify.

Back
Top Bottom