If its the size of a platy or smaller...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
...it can and will fit through the hole and tubing of a python. :oops: I recently invested in a python (not hauling buckets around sure is nice) and when doing a water change today to clear the water back up (fighting tannins in a new peice of driftwood) my female red wag platy got curious about the python and swam up into the tube. I panicked and couldn't shut the water off in time, so she ended up going through the tubing. By the time we got the water off, she had gotten to the part that connects to the faucet (25ft python). We got her out, and back into the tank now, she is very freaked out, but otherwise fine.

In the meantime (while I was typing this) one of our new angels got stuck in the tube as well. The angels do not fit through the tubing. We noticed it when the suction suddenly decreased, and we lifted up the tube and he swam out. He is ok too though.

So enough adventures for today, we are filling the tank back up now :oops:

*no fish have been harmed in the makings of this message*

glad your fish made it.

unless the current inside the tubing is going too fast, you can pinch the python tubing to cut the water flow.

and if the fish hasn't passed through the tubing connector (near the gravel vac) just use the switch to shut it off

Fish do the darndest things lol.
My schistura regularly attack my gravel vac as I'm cleaning their tank...silly things...! It doesn't even LOOK like a fish!

I always kept my thumb on the switch too. I was always afraid to walk away while it was going.

lol...i sucked up a gourami once...he was too big to go through the tube, but he was freaked! he's been fine though...some fish are pretty resilient

yea, when i panicked, i had forgotten about the switch near the vac, and she had passed that part by the time i remembered. She is fine though, looks like she may have a couple scales missing, but other than that, she is fine. The angel is ok too, ate very well this morning.

The worst part about this whole scenario is that I was sitting right next to the tank too. Most of my tanks (i have 8 total) are on the same wall, right next to my couch, where i was sitting at the time.

Don't know how i missed the angel getting into the tube though :oops:

Back
Top Bottom