If not diatom then what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55g with what I thought was diatom algae. Three otos later, I still have the brown stuff browing on the glass. I've waited weeks. I read peoples posts about having otos for two days and their 55g is CLEAN. I'm starting to think that the brown stuff on the glass isn't diatom but then what is it? The stuff has been there for 3-4 weeks at least possibly longer. The best description that I've heard is that it looks like it was sprayed on with a spray bottle. The stuff really hasn't grown much.

Does it wipe off easily? That is another feature of diatoms. If not, then it is probably something else that might need to be dealt with using a scraper.

You mean you want me to scrape the stuff off? :twisted: That's why I got the otos!

I guess I can try wiping it off. I like fighting nature with nature though.

i have seen the same stuff on my 45G too ... n i was worried too coz brown algae doesnt stay for 2 weeks long (thats what i heard). no answers found yet. and YES mine can be removed easily. anyone ... what is it?

You can certainly have diatoms that remain in the tank long-term, I do in my lower light African tank, and I will likely move one of my bristlenoses into that tank to deal with it, but I don't mind wiping it off. Lower lighting and higher silicates in the water tend to foster it's growth, I believe.

I tried scraping the brown stuff off. You'll have to define easy. Using my finger/fingernail it required some effort. Definitely not a simple wipe and it's gone. Just started fertilizing after stopping for a week to see if it would help with algae control. Didn't really. Also changed the lighting design so that it was on 4.5 hours off 2 on 4.5 hours. Too early for that to have had an affect. Doing the daily dose vs weekly dose on fertilizing. We'll see how the algae is in a week.

No, diatoms just wipe off like fog on the bathroom mirror- no real scraping required. If it is round and spotty and not overtaking the tank, then it is probably something you will just have to deal with using a credit card or a razor blade from time to time. Even fish with rasp-mouths cant scrape off what you might have trouble scraping with your fingernail.

I am very interested in how you do with spreading your ferts out over the week in daily doses versus one big dose, so keep us posted. There are so many factors that can cause algae to flourish, so you kindof have to eliminate one thing at a time, and eventually you'll get it.

Well buggers. Now I'm concerned about the otos having enough to eat. Will have to look into a secondary food source for them.

I'll post some follow ups on the lighting and daily doses of fertilizers in about a week. That should be long enough for the change in lighting, if any, to be apparent.

Back
Top Bottom