If We use loaches to get rid of snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skuseman

Aquarium Advice Regular
If we use loaches to get rid of snails what do we do when there are no more snails to feed the loaches? Get more snails? hahaha its a catch 22 .

Loaches will eat just about anything that drops to the bottom. Shrimp pellets, wafers, etc. Even flake food that makes it to the bottom.

yeah, and trust me you will never be completely rid of snails :twisted:

They'll eat anything, basically. They're great scavengers, which is how they find the snails and eggs. They will come up for food on the surface and then zoom around checking the substrate.

Unfortunately mine is not able to keep up with my snails recently. I didn't even know I had MTS's and suddenly I see my gravel moving and the f'ers are everywhere. And they're huge... It's gross :( I heard MTS shells are so hard that they can even break a puffer's beak so maybe that's part of the problem.

Yeah i have MTS but i like them and i think they are pretty. My clown loaches go around and dig in the gravel and i think they eat the eggs and the small ones. I had some of those small ramshorn snails and when i see them i crush them and they go crazy.. but i haven't seen any for about 2 weeks now. i also have my large apple snails and the loaches don't mess with them.

Lonewolfblue said:
Loaches will eat just about anything that drops to the bottom. Shrimp pellets, wafers, etc. Even flake food that makes it to the bottom.

exactly - loaches eat just about anything and everything.
So when there are no snails left - they just eat the normal fish food like everyone else (snails are just a delicacy).

I haven't seen any signs of snails in my tank after I introduced my 2 zebra (striped) loaches a month ago. I cleaned my filter yesterday and none in there either. And before, I had at least a couple hundred. They do a great job.

Gordinho80 said:
snailless in my 54 gal corner since setup thanks to my 2 clowns...

just wondering - do the loaches eat the SHELL too ??
or ONLY the snail (if so, are you supposed to remove the shell, will it decay) ?

Bubble_B0y said:
just wondering - do the loaches eat the SHELL too ??
or ONLY the snail (if so, are you supposed to remove the shell, will it decay) ?

i dont really know to be honest...they apparently eat the eggs before they form into snails...its awesome really...

FRY tank has no snails, but no plants or anything to really help them strive...
Piranha tank has no snails, but thats probably cause they eat them...
Other tank has snails, too small for clown loaches though...what other loaches or fish take care of snails and are smaller?

Back
Top Bottom