If you could do it all over again . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redeye

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, this is my first post here and that probably reflects the amount of knowledge I have on the subject of fish. I have been doing some research and have a decent idea of what I want. I figure a 40 - 60 gallon tank will work well in my apartment and a FW setup will be good to learn some of nuances of fish and plant care. I have about a $500 - $600 budget but I want to make as few mistakes as possible (I don't want to be a fish murderer).

So my question is this: If you could start your FW setup all over again knowing what you know now, what would you do differently? I'm looking for any kind of good advice.

Also, if anyone knows a good store in the St. Louis area for anything fish related, please let me know!!

Thanks in advance!

If I could go back to when I FIRST started getting into fish, I'd do everything different (like learn how to cycle for one).

As far as what I'd do different with the setups, I think I'd research a little bit more when it comes to cost. I went right to the big chains and bought my tank, filter, heater, gravel, etc there. Then I realized the LFS had all that stuff at almost half the price. Sigh.

In the past 6 months I've learned to even skip the LFS (well, with non living items), with some DIY and other practical solutions (play sand, river rock) I've saved tons of money.

I wish I had
1. Bought the biggest tank I could afford and could fit in my house.
2. Checked the papers for used tanks which can be had for a very small fraction of the cost of a new tank and are consistently available in large areas
3. Splurged on a large Cannister filter--usually cheapest online
4. Never impulse bought a fish--I still have problems with this
5. Took my time and researched absolutely everything thoroughly

Research BEFORE you buy. Figure out what fish you want or what type of tank (FW, SW, live plants) you want before you buy anything. Nothing worse than buying something only to find out that something else would work better or cheaper for your setup.

Buy a bigger tank. I bought a 55 gallon. I wish I bought a 75. Same width more depth.

Did I mention research?

Oh, measure your tap water before you decide on fish!(unlike me :oops: ) I have great water for African Cichlids, hard as a rock. If you find out your water is hard or soft it might help make your decision easier.

[center:2bed675407] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Redeye!! :n00b: [/center:2bed675407]

Research, research and ask questions! There are some great articles in the Articles' Section of this site.

When I started out, I thought buying a "kit" would save money. I was wrong. The equipment they give you works, but its far from great. I would buy everything separately.

Meredith said:
When I started out, I thought buying a "kit" would save money. I was wrong. The equipment they give you works, but its far from great. I would buy everything separately.

I agree (why didn't I mention it earlier). The "kit" came with some things that were not adequate or needed for what I was going to do. ie: Aquarium Salt...followed the instructions on the box and put 1 tbsp per gal. then wondered why my salt sensitive fish didn't survive.

FWIW:

1. Fish/plants according to natural habitat/biotope - I kick myself over this sometimes
2. Master test kit - would have saved a lot of coin.
3. Canister - ditto poppab02. I've got a thing for the little Fluvals.
4. Should have used diagrams to plan plant layout, like experienced aquarists do.
5. Searched archives before purchasing - wasted money on CO2 fizz tabs, stress coat, etc.

I live in the St. Louis area, actually right in Creve Couer. Their are several good lfs stores here. My favorite one would have to be Beldt's Aquarium located in Hazelwood. It has a large selection of both fresh and salt water. Also their staff is very knowledgable. So if you have any questions they would be the place to go. They might also be able to help you out with a fish tank. Make sure you compare other neccesites like a filter at other stores. They carry the H.O.T Magnum Filter that works great and would work for a 50-60 gallon tank. Its about $20 cheaper than it someplace like Petsmart. Just ask around and be patient when buying a setup, because you might find something a little cheaper and better the next day. If you have any other questions about where to go in St. Louis just ask me, I would be willing to help.

Hey, thanks for the heads up Drake. I just got back from visiting a couple of LFS in the Crestwood area - closer to my Kirkwood home than Hazelwood. As expected, they were much more reasonable than Petsmart. I went to Pet Market Place, and found a decent deal on a 75 Gal. and stand for $300. Plus they give you a 10% discount on any accessories at the time of purchase. Then on the way home I spotted another LFS - Tropical World Pets. So I pulled a nice illegal U-turn in the middle of the street and checked it out. They have the exact same aquarium and stand for $289 but they make you get certain accessories to qualify for the discount. Basically they throw in a 400 Emperor Filter, a Dual Temp 300 watt heater, a siphon cleaner, net, and thermometer for a total of $400.

Any opinions on those two options? I figure either is better than the 45 Gal. aquarium and stand for $300 at Petsmart.

I do not like the dual temp heaters they are limited. I have 4 of them marineland heaters. I have one in a 10 gallon thats rated 5-20 gallons and I have it set low as it will go. the temp in my tank avg about 78-79F if it gets warmer in the house the temp goes up even higher.

Dual temp heaters are a bad idea. I had one on my 55 and was constantly stressed and worried and eventually just bought a new one. Plus, if you get ich they can't kick the temperature up high enough to kill the stuff. Also most people recommend two mid range heaters rather than one large heater on a large tank.
Also that filter isn't going to be strong enough to filtrate that tank on it's own. IMO the accessories aren't worth what you're paying.

Thats pretty much what I did when going to Pet Market Place. Its right there on the corner and you can't see it coming down until you stop at the light and look over to your left. For the aquarium I would go with whatever you like better. I think its always better to support you lfs though.

I would never have given away, or thrown away, any of my old tanks, filters, parts and odds and ends. Aside from storage issues and the hassle of taking them with you when you move, you would be surprised how often you can find new uses for old equipment.

Back
Top Bottom