If you had a 100 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoCal

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting an acrylic 100 to 120 gallon tank from a friend (for free) and haven't decided what I'm going to put in it yet. What would YOU put in it and why?

Now that is a good question.
The biggest tank we currently have is a 55, with mainly cichlids, so a 100 gallon tank would be like huge.

I would get one of the Rift Lake Eels. Right now it is just a dream, but one day it will be a reality.
Either that or I would go saltwater.

Jen :multi:

Cichlids, definitely! Convicts, Jack Dempseys...

The only reason I don't have any now is lack of space (most get so big!). Had to settle for dwarfs (rams) but I'm finding out they're just as much fun. :mrgreen:

Oh oh oh oh you are SOOO lucky! Are you getting a stand/filter/hood with the tank, or just the tank itself?

You have a tank which is big enough to house some of the slightly larger (but not too lage) fish out there so you might want to consider the great opportunity you have to buy fish like gars (alligator, needle-nosed), clown loaches (most ppl with smaller tanks get them anyway), bichirs, eels, freshwater barracuda IF you're into something different.

However, I'd think the best way to go might be to get some discus!! Get your pH down to 6, and take advantage of the space to give them the room they deserve.

Also, a 100 would make a really kickin' cichlid tank, especially African. If you were to make a biotope, you might have a really impressive Lake Tanganyika or Malawi tank. Really consider this, because this will be very rewarding. There are some catfish in these lakes, also, which would fulfill the bottom-feeder roles in the tank.

Also, you could get a or several black ghost knife(ves), and have a really interesting species tank.

That's enough for now. I'm excited for you! :lol: Good luck!

dont go with aligator gars they get too big, i have a 110 gallon that im going too put my e-cat in, iv kept mostly cichlids in it, do you have any idea of what your looking for? if you want too have 1 fish in it get a N.beenie (sp) they get around 12" and will dominate a 600 gallon tank, but what do you want, peaceful, semi agressive, agressive, cichlids, catfish, need some more info and ill give you a bunch of ideas.

if I had a 100 gal tank... -starts dreaming-

I would be in the tank with my fish!
But I wouldn't know what to put in the tank... I love Gouramis and Cory Cats.

I would probably have a tank full of corys!

*agrees with madasa*

A 100g would make a stunning discus tank!

However, if that were me, I'd go SW with a tank that size *grin*

I'm not 100% sure of what fish I would add but with a tank that size I would go for a number of schooling fish. I think that would be awesome to see them at their best, a cloud of colour swimming around. Maybe the set up could be like a cross-section of a river with large pcs of driftwood, river rocks and lots of plants.

The tank used to be saltwater, it comes with a huge wet dry filter, hood, lights, and stand. I didn't say what I am leaning towards because I want to hear all ideas not just what I think I might do. But I am most likely going to add african cichlids seeing as I am new to the whole community tank thing. I used to breed africans and I just really like the different peacock species and compreseseps. I can see however that it would be cool to have a school of 25 neon tetras swimming around in the tank and huge plants. My LFS has a huge planted tank and it is just so relaxing to look at and in every little nook there was a shrimp or a fish taking a break. I am also thinking a lot about discus as I have never owned any and they always seemed out of reach for me as far as housing goes.

Whoa, its not JUST the tank, but all the goodies as well for free??

I'm hanging out with the wrong people. All I got was a 10g and a wrought iron stand from my friend ;)

Oooh...a 100 gal??? I'd have to get some more of my little Dragon friends and make it a totally brackish cave for them!!!

Dang! You got the filter, hood and stand, too!!!!! I've gotta meet this friend of yours.

I don't think you would regret the cichlids, but if you used to breed them, the discus tank is probably a great idea, and there are so many varieties...

Also, I gotta agree with AlliV that your tank would be perfect for SW fish. You could make a nice reef in there!

Oh the tank is filled with rock and coral too (all dead though).

I am compulsive when it comes to aquarium supplies and fish so I don't think I could restrain myself at all if I where to start a SW tank. I am also having a rash of bad luck in my FW tanks right now that makes me think Hmmmmmm hundreds if not thousands of dollars invested in a SW environment enclosed in a plastic box in my living room, that is just too much of a high risk investment for me, especially with my curse of bad luck. The tank is going to be FW for now. :D

Hey SoCal....don't forget to add a large school of cardinal tetras too. I think they're brighter than the neon and have the red stripe all the way along the body. An awesome sight at night with the tank light on and the room lights off :D Also add some driftwood to get some tannin in the water, they'll love you for it :wink:
jmho

If you go for the cool night-time effect, get some Glow light tetras instead, they're much more likely to survive!! Eek.

I would make it into a brackish Puffer Fish tank for sure. :D

Spiked Puffer Fish are so kyooooot 8O

My first Post.
Arowana, and a African Redtail Catfish. Both fish grow ver large I have had a few arowanas I have a silver one right now....I guess he is 10" long....he can become a few feet long in the right size tank. I also have 2 african edtail catfish. they are all in a 75 gallon corner aquarium....kinda cramped for fish like them.

just Last week I setup a 150 Gallon tank that I have had for many years but left it at my moms since i was 18 and moved out..{i am 26 now} I had at least 200 to 300 african cichlids breed in that tank.

there was about 300 to 400$ in fish in that tank and my mom gave them all away....i was very upset. ut now i Just set it up with saltwater. I am not sure what i want in it. Maybe a Lionfish ..... stingray? shark? who knows. I am lettin the water settle and figuring out the chemicals and researching before i make a decision.

I'd advise strongly against the red tailed catfish. In all honesty, nobody should have them in a fish tank. They're just too big, and will get singularly powerful. Same, essentially, applies for the arrowanas. xclan is correct that they will grow to 3 feet. This is too much even for a 100 gallon... However, the arrowanas are incredible fish, I have to say!

Back
Top Bottom