If you have livebearers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it easy to tell the sex? How do you cull? I don't think I could just scoop them out and kill them. Is there a fish that would eat them? I'd feel like at least that is the cycle of life... (I know, not really but I'd feel better about it)

Back to my previous question, then - is it easy to tell the sex?

It takes a while to determine sex of fry until they mature. Depending on the specie most live bearers eat their young

Is it easy to tell the sex? How do you cull? I don't think I could just scoop them out and kill them. Is there a fish that would eat them? I'd feel like at least that is the cycle of life... (I know, not really but I'd feel better about it)

You have a couple of options for the cull. Rehome/sell. Find someone who needs/wants live fish (such as Oscar or lion fish owners) and give them to them.

When my guppies bred like crazy I would feed the juvies to my cray. It IS the circle of life but a pain in the butt.... thus why my first options are all of one gender.

Great, thank you! I am sure if I didn't know how to tell the person at te store might try but could have made a mistake

Back
Top Bottom