If you want your Python to really "Suck"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I like I am sure many others have been used to a fairly low suction when using the kitchen faucet. Well let me tell you. Today I decided to attach the Python to an outside spigot. Well well, now I hooverfied, that had more suction than my vacuum cleaner. Finished the gravel chores in my 125 in under half the time. Just remember to refill it's back to the kitchen to regulate the temp.

I had to be careful though, had a cory suck half way up my 30 inch tube before I saw him, but did in time. I love this thing now, I have to say before with the poor water pressure typical in most new houses it wasn't great, now It totally rocks, or should I say "suck"

do u just treat the whole tank after u put all the water back in? ... and do you turn off ur filter?

Thanks for the advice. I've been wondering about suction power for a while. I'll have to give it a try next time! :lol: :lol:

I've got a Python, but I don't even hook it up to the sink to drain it anymore, it just wasted waaaaaay too much water. Luckily my tank is on the second floor and near a window. I just open up a window, suck as hard as I can on the tube to get the suction started, then drop it out the window. It waters the flower bed underneath my window as well. The suction that I achieve is comparable to the suction that I had when the Python was hooked up to my bathroom sink.

I still use the Python the standard way when filling it though.

We used to drain via outside spicket and refill via kitchen sink. When we moved to a different apt without an outside spicket, water changes were never the same. They took quite a bit longer.

the problem with using the outside spicket is your wasting so much more water than using it the traditinal way. A much better way is to just us the python like a regular suction system and have the end drain into the bathtub or outside. You get almost 3 times the suction as using the sink and dont waste all the water with the outside sicket, or even sink spicket.

But I guess I think of this because Im in SOCal and your in Nor Cal, we pipe most of out water down from you and other areas.

Height makes a big difference when you are doing pwc, whether you use a python or not. I'm guessing that your outside spigot is significantly lower than your kitchen faucet, so you get a stronger natural siphon once the python has started the flow. At the kitchen sink you are not much lower then the surface of the water in your tank so it doesn't have a strong natural siphon so you have to run more water to "Bernoulli" the water out of your tank. (Wow, I just used Bernoulli as a verb)

Use the outside spigot to get the suction started. Then you probably won't need the water on. Since an outside spigot is usually several feet to many feet lower than a household facuet, once the siphon is started, gravity will keep it going even without the spigot water running. I think that the increased suction you see is due both to the fact that outside spigots tend to run faster and that they are lower. Remeber not to fill from an outside spigot, that water is usually very cold. Gotta use the inside faucet to get access to hot water.

edit: in other words, what Apocalypse said. :)

Back
Top Bottom