I'm a complete beginner getting a 10 gallon tank, thinking about glofish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightwing973

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have NO fish-keeping experience, I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank. I'm also interested in keeping glofish. Do you guys have any suggestions? What toys/stuff to put in the tank, water temperature, food, will plain old tap water do (after you condition it)?

Should 10 gallons be enough for 4 or 5 glofish? Should I put any other fish/snails in there?

All suggestions are welcome.

Hi, I have NO fish-keeping experience, I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank. I'm also interested in keeping glofish. Do you guys have any suggestions? What toys/stuff to put in the tank, water temperature, food, will plain old tap water do (after you condition it)?

Should 10 gallons be enough for 4 or 5 glofish? Should I put any other fish/snails in there?

All suggestions are welcome.

1. The bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep the water quality up.

2. I'm not sure on glofish, if you mean the glow-light tetras or the genetically engineered (what, danios?). Either way, a good temperature would be between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind that some folk have moral objections to keeping altered fish, especially inked fish. Not sure about genetically altered fish. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I sure like the natural-ness of my tanks.

3. I use color enhancing flakes for my fish (all kinds, from platys and guppies to kribensis cichlids). Some people prefer frozen foodstuff (brineshrimp, bloodworms), and still others prefer life food (tubifex worms, brine shrimp). It all depends on how much you want to spend.

4. In regards to your question about the number of fish that can live in a 10 gallon tank, I would say it's a very complicated answer. Fish produce a certain amount of waste per day, and there's pretty much nothing you can do to stop them. To help reduce the amount of waste present in the water, plants are sometimes used. A general rule that seems to be a good rule of thumb for beginners is to stock 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. This rule is disputed, but it has worked ok for me.

5. I use tap water that is roughly the same temperature as the tank water, but I condition it with DeChlor to remove chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals (if any) from the water. These chemicals can damage a fishes gills, and retard the cycling process.

6. Now that I mentioned it, read read read on cycling your tank. I prefer fishless cycling, as do many others. Cycling your tank basically means you provide ammonia (usually from fish, but during fishless cycling, I use a dead prawn from the supermarket) to the bacteria in the tank. They consume this and create Nitrite, which feeds a second kind of bacteria. These excrete Nitrate, which is less toxic to fish than either Ammonia or Nitrite, which is good.

7. Buy an API liquid test kit. The strip testers are no good (just what I've heard, haven't done independent testing to confirm). USE IT.

8. Do a 20-25% water change weekly, more if needed.

I would do a lot of reading on this site and others before you commit to a tank. Also, try to get as big a tank as possible. Even though 10G seems big now, pretty soon you'll start noticing how small it is. Trust me, it's cheaper to buy a 29G tank and stand then to start with a 10G, then work your way up. :)

EDIT :: Added more info on cycling.

Glofish are like $5 each, i would not recommend that to start with. but just simply a zebra danio or a long fined zebra danio they are the same thing just the glofish has jellyfish gene spliced in or something like that.

underdog5004 - thanks for the suggestions, haha I memorized the heck out of the nitrogen cycle for bio classes, will read up more on the cycles in aquariums. Might go for a 20 gallon tank if it's not too much more.

Asbestos - yeah, I've seen the price, but I also really like their color (although normal zebra danios look nice too). Do you know if Normal zebra danios and glofish can be mixed in a tank without any ill effects? (Since the glofish are identical in every way except the gene for luminescence)

Yes they would be fine. I have long fined zebra danio's with giant danios and they just school together. Its hilarious to watch because the giant ones are at least twice the size of the normal ones. But yeah they should get along just fine.

underdog5004 - thanks for the suggestions, haha I memorized the heck out of the nitrogen cycle for bio classes, will read up more on the cycles in aquariums. Might go for a 20 gallon tank if it's not too much more.

Asbestos - yeah, I've seen the price, but I also really like their color (although normal zebra danios look nice too). Do you know if Normal zebra danios and glofish can be mixed in a tank without any ill effects? (Since the glofish are identical in every way except the gene for luminescence)

No problem, I'm kind of insomniac'ed right now, so there you go. It's been my experience (worked at a LFS for almost 2 years) that fish tanks go up non-linearly in price, while the accessories only go up about 5-10 bucks per upgrade. So, (working from old LFS numbers) say a 10G tank is 15 bucks, the hood is 30, the heater is 20, the filter is 25. A 20G tank is around 40 bucks, the hood is 35, heater is 25, filter is 30, etc, etc, etc...

Look around on craigslist, lots of good deals there. I got a 55G tank and full set up (filter, heater, triple lights, stand and more) for 95 bucks.

Also, the heater should have about 50 watts per 10 gallons, I think. Something like that. I recommend Stealth heaters; they're encased in plastic, so you don't have to worry about cracks and explosions. Also, they seem to have good quality thermostats in them. Only downside is the lack of on/off light. Also, get yourself (another point of contention) either a floating glass thermometer or stick-on thermometer (on the outside). Some people feel that the stick on thermometers are less accurate, but that hasn't been my experience.

One thing about glofish and danios they like to swim a lot so the longer the tank the better. A 20 gallon tank comes in 3 different sizes long, tall and extra tall so when getting a tank think of the fish you are going to be putting in there.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll check out heaters, and look for a more horizontal tank.

check craigslist for tanks... ive gotten all of mine from there at a fraction what i would have paid for them new... you can get a 20-30g complete setup for what you would pay for a 10g starter kit usually

Yeah but getting a second hand tank you have to worry about cracks and stuff, but you really do save a lot of money. Also i forgot to say Danios are a very good choice to start with they are extremely hardy and many people use them to cycle their tanks.

Back
Top Bottom