im @ a loss and fish arnt doing good :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pstrew said:
ok i think iv seen i befor...iv ben using kordon amquel plus ammonia detox conditioner...i take it that not gona cut it right?

That's fine to use. I prefer Prime, but I've used amquel plus and didn't have any issues. It won't solve your tap water problem, neither will prime, but it'll help.

Mind if I ask what part of the world you're from?

florida...ok got the prime and added a cap full like it sais....should i do a water chnge? and add more...and how fast should i see a result?

Remember when using prime it changes ammonia to its non toxic form and if your using the API test kit the ammonia will still register it even though it's in it's non toxic form. You need to get a something like the seachem alert for your tank or there own test kit which can monitor the toxic NH3 free ammonia and not the nearly harmless NH4+ ionised ammonia. I know this doesn't help with why levels where showing at all in a cycled tank but it's something to keep in mind.

pstrew said:
florida...ok got the prime and added a cap full like it sais....should i do a water chnge? and add more...and how fast should i see a result?

Cool! You wont "see" a result on your tests, But it'll do its magic until your biofilter processes it. Have you tested the tap water again? Any improvement? Like I said, if you can get some distilled or something I'd certainly jump on that until things look more manageable. If the tab ammonia has improved I'd do a water change. If not, I wouldn't

Borderlesscott said:
Remember when using prime it changes ammonia to its non toxic form and if your using the API test kit the ammonia will still register it even though it's in it's non toxic form. You need to get a something like the seachem alert for your tank or there own test kit which can monitor the toxic NH3 free ammonia and not the nearly harmless NH4+ ionised ammonia. I know this doesn't help with why levels where showing at all in a cycled tank but it's something to keep in mind.

Yep!

ok..what should my tap water be at to be safe agin...and i might try and get some distilld water...that a lot of water to get thow ....as of this morning the tank in still super cloudy and tested tap water last night and still at 4ppm ammonia... but i did call city yesterday and there gona come out and test the water ....thats wahat they said anyway got my info and said they call and scheduel an apoinment so hopfull i can get this aken care of

pstrew said:
ok..what should my tap water be at to be safe agin...and i might try and get some distilld water...that a lot of water to get thow ....as of this morning the tank in still super cloudy and tested tap water last night and still at 4ppm ammonia... but i did call city yesterday and there gona come out and test the water ....thats wahat they said anyway got my info and said they call and scheduel an apoinment so hopfull i can get this aken care of

Wow that is crazy high!
If its anything less than 3 right now, (which is far from safe) you could probably do one. Mind you, its not going to make a big difference it may just drop it by a tiny bit, but hey, that's better than nothing! Ideally you want it below. 25. How do the fish look today?

Distilled water may very possibly affect Ph so be careful not to let it swing too crazily.

One full cap 5ml of prime is enough to totally convert ammonia to its non toxic form in a 55g, don't panic - prime works nearly straight away and the cloudyness might be totally unrelated. I know it's more money a few dollars, but really get yourself the seachem alert for the tank - it changes colour with the rise in only the harmful ammonia and will safe you a lot of stress. The less harmful ammonia that prime converts harmful ammonia into is if I remember at least 100 times less toxic so a level of 2ppm is nothing. Prime can also be used to denitirify high nitrite levels, and it's really hard to use to much of the stuff, for me personally it's the most essential bit of kit for fish keepers.

Save yourself, and your fish, some stress and cut your tap water 50/50 with RO until your issue is worked out with the water company.

It may not be a water company issue though. I don't know the chemistry of it but here is an example of an experience I have:
The house I am currently renting has:
Ammonia 1-2ppm
Nitrite 1-2ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm
The house I just bought:
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Same water company, same city. My new house is plumbed all new. Maybe old pipes have something to do with it.

blert said:
Save yourself, and your fish, some stress and cut your tap water 50/50 with RO until your issue is worked out with the water company.

It may not be a water company issue though. I don't know the chemistry of it but here is an example of an experience I have:
The house I am currently renting has:
Ammonia 1-2ppm
Nitrite 1-2ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm
The house I just bought:
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Same water company, same city. My new house is plumbed all new. Maybe old pipes have something to do with it.

Old pipes is a big problem in my town and it really does mess with the water quality. I never had to use RO water to cut my tap water in a different town, but in this one I have to go about 80% RO. Seems crazy but it makes a huge difference in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom