IM a sucker for a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Visited the LFS today and saw a beautiful dark blue DT betta. I fell in love with him instantly and considered long and hard what to do. After checking a few places for prices and such for tanks and kits, I decided that for a short time he will be housed in about a ! gal Betta Tank. I went back to purchase him and decided that his fins didnt look too great and didnt want to take a chance on them not getting better, so I sifted through the betta bowls and found a second, younger DT. This one has lighter blue and white fins with an albino looking head minus the red eyes.

So far hes enjoying his somewhat larger home, but I cant wait til I find him something larger to go in.

My GF had a question, what is the smallest aquarium 2 males can cohabit and not get on each other's nerves?

Ill try for a pick of the new betta later on if anyone cares.

Two males cannot coexist together at all. No matter how many gallons there are and how much space they have, they will shred eachother to pieces. There are EXTREMELY RARE cases where brothers have been able to coexist, but once again they are EXTREMELY rare.

And congratz on the new betta ^^

-Rachel

How hurtful would it be to both my bettas if I were to remove the VT from my 20g and put in the DT to give him some room to swim for a day or so?

I imagine switching conditions like that is bad, but then again hes in a glorified bowl atm....

I am not exactly sure what you are asking? If you mean would it be okay to switch places, the one in the bowl, the other in the tank I would say no, due to the fact that you would stress both out by changing their enviroment so often. If the bowl is that small I would try looking for maybe a larger container such as a tupawear dish of some sort that you can keep him in longer. I have several of my bettas in make shift tanks such as that. Just remember that they need a lid of some sort, as they jump, yet still need air at the top as well. A large pickle jar with holes in the top like children do for fire flies might be a okay temporary alternative.
-Rachel

I would either get a five gallon from wal-mart for 30 bucks, or I would find a relatively cheap two gallon container, which is what I have done for some of my bettas. While a one gallon isn't alot of space, if you change the water out every day- to every other day I am sure he will be happy and healthy. The only thing you really have to worry about is temperature fluxation. If that is a problem, I would put a blanket over the tank if it gets too cold. You have to remember that Bettas are tropical fish.

^^Hope this helps

-rachel

Id buy a tank now, but we have a trip coming up next weekend and gas is expensive so all my money is going there atm.

But the week after its all about a new tank :)

Back
Top Bottom