I'm adopting a tank......what do you think???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, heres the situation, I know this girl ( yes i have a crush on her lol ) she has a 10 gallon tank, its a couple years old and has 2 small plecos, a blue gourami anda bala shark in it with some big rock cliff decorations and a couple small cheasy looking plants. I went over there yesterday adn never payed much attention to the tnak till now. She claims the gravel has never been cleaned since last febuary!!! the filter unit was last cleaned in the same time, and it has no filter cartridge in it just a sponge used for cleaning dishes, which fits perfectly actually lol. theres dried algea and calcium or lime all over everything and inside the tank algea is all long the bottom. I ask if she used any chemicals and she just use's her britta water filter for water. it uses two 25 watt bulbs and one is burned out, but yet through all this these fish have lived healthy for 2 years, there in great shape!!!!! So I started vaccuming the gravel with my equipment and she finally asked if i was intrested in the tank, i got tommorow to pick it up whoo hoo lol luckily i only live 1 street over so the ride won't be bad for the fish and i can set the tank up quyickly, to bad it won't have time to properly cycle, so what do you all think for a free tank and fish?

i think a tank is a tank lol. a razor blade will quicky take care of the calcium buildup and i am sure u have extra gravel and decorations that u can substitute in to make it more to your liking. u should have told her to keep the tank and then offered to do all the maintence on it. it gives u an excuse to keep going over there. or if u hook up with her u can gie the tank back as a one month anerversary present with all her little fishies. she would love it lol. i think. lol

Free tanks and fish are always good IMO, you can use the media in the filter currently and the gravel to cycle the tank. Do a water change and then in a couple of weeks change the filter media out. Be careful with how quickly you clean the fish's water. When fish are acclimated to bad water conditions, cleaning their water too purely and too quickly can cause grave results. They will need time to acclimate to good water.

wow never thought about how changing the water to quick, thats a real good tip Zagz, I might bring home some of the water from there tank then and use it when i set it back up so they feel " at home " lol

MrFunkTastic, as for the free service to her tank, i offered that, but get this she didn't like the fact that some water drops got on her carpet and made it " smell " lol

Not the girl for you, friend. I mean, what's she going to do when she sees you feeding blackworms? Or dropping in frozen brine shrimp? She's going to sissy out on you, that's what. You need a good aquarium girl. :mrgreen:

lol i have met two awsome chicks that i was going to ask out and i knew they were cool becasue i met them at a pet shop lol. this girl was thinking abotu setting up a cichlid tank and she was frstruated because noone would help her so i stepped in. long story short i got her number and got offered a job lol.

:( no one ever offers me a job at the petshops...that's so not fair. lol. My girlfriend just kinda pokes fun at the hobby, lol, but she does enjoy looking at my tanks.

i have been offered jobs in big als, pet smart, super pet and pj'spet centre lol. but they are all near my dads house in brampton and i live about an hour away from there.

ehh...sadly the only petshops within reasonable daily driving distance are little, local shops. They almost never hire, and when they do the positions fill as soon as they open...usually by incompetents...stupid petshops :(

Nice one, free fish tanks rule. As for the girl.... eh

My girl gave me a spare 10G fish tank, I gave her a ring. Fair trade off in my book. And she works at a pet store / shelter. hehe.

Yea but I would be careful how quickly you change things out. Fish don't like drastic or fast changes. You might even want to do a few smaller water changes before you move it.

My local pet shop is now like 5 minutes away, or i can go to petland in southshore across the bridge in ohio which is about a 15 minute drive. I won't lie i have been talking to two girls lately, the one with the tank that was given to me, and one i am truely in love with, we've talked for about 7 months now, but have had bad times lately, she has a fish tank, 90 gallon bow front acryllic that i took care of for her, we both love fish alot but she was unable to take care of her tanksince she had a sist removed off her ovaries, even though were not talking, i still hope and pray that the fish tnak is ok lol

I've been offered jobs at Petland and Petsmart. I am "the Tang lady" in town, because few others around here keep Tanganyikans. I think it frustrates the fish stores, because they can't make fish sales on me unless it's for dithers.

Back
Top Bottom