Im Back. And So far NOT impressed with Orlando's water. pH problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So we finally moved in and set my tank back up which took a while since everything dried up but three weeks ago i started the cycle. Now done bought my betta and forgot one of my biggest problems in my excitement to get fish started again. THE PH IS CRAZY. I have the API pH test kit and even with my usual water fixer (not home and cant remember what its called sorry :blink:) and it is through the roof. I put a tablet of pH correct 24hrs before putting Bernard into the big tank but now that I have to do a water change and last time my pH was 7.6. Now it says in the directions that it will only show UP TO 7.6 that doesnt mean that its not higher than that. As for buying anything I would like to know ways that I can get it down since I will have to sneak and buy new water-fixer anyways since I have one water changes worth as is but until then how can I bring the pH down? Let is sit?

And what good would a water change do if the pH is that high coming out of the tap?

A stable ph is way better then a fluctuating ph. If you wanna lower it, try peat moss in the filter. Peatmoss is a natural way versus a chemical way causing an imbalance

What are your readings if you leave the water sit for ~24 hours to degas? I bet the pH drops to a reasonable level then.

What are your readings if you leave the water sit for ~24 hours to degas? I bet the pH drops to a reasonable level then.

Havent tried it out yet. I am just now able to think about it. I have just one Betta so right now he is fine and the tablet of pH Correct kept the pH at a decent level but I am going to take a shower and try it out after.

and what does ~24 hours to degas mean?

A stable ph is way better then a fluctuating ph. If you wanna lower it, try peat moss in the filter. Peatmoss is a natural way versus a chemical way causing an imbalance

Keep peatmoss in the filter? Is there a certain amount? Is it like too much and pH goes to low? And its only a 7 gallon tank, we moved right when the sale on fish tanks went on :banghead:

Keep peatmoss in the filter? Is there a certain amount? Is it like too much and pH goes to low? And its only a 7 gallon tank, we moved right when the sale on fish tanks went on :banghead:

Yes in the filter work. You can put it in a filter sock to lessen the chance of it leaving the filter. It will lower based on how much you use. Like meegosh said, try to degass your tap first. You degass it by putting it in something that has constant movement or in a cup and stir it every few hours

Your ph is fine. This area of Florida has hard water. I live about an hour from Orlando. Stable pH is the most important. My pH runs around 7.8 and I've spawned bettas in that water. I use water out of the tap and condition with prime.

I used to worry about the pH as well. I tried peat moss in the past but it was messy, and I do keep driftwood in my tanks but the pH still goes right back up no matter where I've lived. Its actually kind of good becuase it keeps the pH buffered when your going through a cycle.

Like I said, I've spawned bettas and angels in this water. Stability is key. I would stop using the pH correct stuff because the pH going up and down is going to stress your betta more.

If you really wanted you could buy distilled water and add your own buffers to it until you get a pH level you are happy with. But you would have to do that with all of your water changes.

and what does ~24 hours to degas mean?

The water will release some of the gases trapped in it after a while and can change the pH. Usually it is recommended to test your tap water, let it sit 12-24 hours and test it again. The reason for this is your pH reading will be different, and the last test will truly show what the pH will be when the water is in your tank. There are many things that can alter the pH temporarily from your water company to your faucet.

Regardless, a stable pH (high or low) is better than a constantly changing/swinging pH caused by buffers or additives.

oh you meant de-gas. I read it as one word like daygus lol. Blonde moment sorry guys lol. I used to have two milk gallons that I used to hold my water but I did it so that it would acclimate to the room temp so when I needed it I could just put it in.

Your ph is fine. This area of Florida has hard water. I live about an hour from Orlando. Stable pH is the most important. My pH runs around 7.8 and I've spawned bettas in that water. I use water out of the tap and condition with prime.

I used to worry about the pH as well. I tried peat moss in the past but it was messy, and I do keep driftwood in my tanks but the pH still goes right back up no matter where I've lived. Its actually kind of good becuase it keeps the pH buffered when your going through a cycle.

Like I said, I've spawned bettas and angels in this water. Stability is key. I would stop using the pH correct stuff because the pH going up and down is going to stress your betta more.

If you really wanted you could buy distilled water and add your own buffers to it until you get a pH level you are happy with. But you would have to do that with all of your water changes.

Do you have other fish in your tanks? I want to get Cory Cats and am afraid of just killing stock but I left it out and with the water conditioner I had after 24 hours it was still 7.6+ and at 4pmI check the pH of the new stuff I got yesterday I will check and see what the readings of the pH.

And do I put the peat moss in a bag? I have media cubes and a sponge in my filter, could I put the peat moss underneath my media cubes?

Do you have other fish in your tanks? I want to get Cory Cats and am afraid of just killing stock but I left it out and with the water conditioner I had after 24 hours it was still 7.6+ and at 4pmI check the pH of the new stuff I got yesterday I will check and see what the readings of the pH.

And do I put the peat moss in a bag? I have media cubes and a sponge in my filter, could I put the peat moss underneath my media cubes?

I have in my 60 gallon, an angel fish, turqoiuse rainbows, boesemani rainbows, khuli loaches, false julii cory cats, bristlenose plecos, a rainbow shark, otos,

In my kids each have a 10 gallon with guppies right now and we have a 5 gallon with a single male betta.

I would forget the peat moss, it won't work with this water. Our aquifer in florida is lined with limestone. Peat will just turn your water brown and you will hate it and the ph will still be 7.6
RO/DI water and adding your own buffers is the only way, and you would only need to do that if you wanted to keep discus.

I agree with the general comments. Steady pH will win the day.

Unless you're specifically gonna house fish that demand acidic-neutral I wouldn't worry about it.

ok. They will do fine? Should I slowly acclimate them or they are tough enough to deal with it?

ok. They will do fine? Should I slowly acclimate them or they are tough enough to deal with it?

Many times the fish store water will be very similar to what you have in your tank. But remeber many if the fish they get in may be farm raised or wild caught so it is a chance if they survive the transition at the pet store and then again in your own home.

In general you may stand a better chance of the fish surviving in your tank if they have been at the pet store for a few days than if you buy them the day they are delivered. So if you know a store gets their delivery on Thursday's, wait until monday to buy. If they survived the stress of shipping and transferring to the fish store water they may be healthier as the more sensitive ones or already ill may have already died.

Of course some stores may not maintain their tanks well so you may want to try and get them the day they come in before they even get dumped into their tanks... I've done this in the past too. But again you have to be careful as these fish are already stressed from shipping.

To minimize shock you can drip acclimate. I usually do this with fish I order online. Float the bag and add a teaspoon of tank water to the bag every 10 minites. Then dump half the bag water out, ad water every 10 minutes ... then net the fish into your tank. (Never put fish store water in your tank!) I also add a few drops of prime to the bag of water just to minimize any ammonia that may have built up on the way home. Never assume a fish is "tough enough". They need stability. So transitioning from different water is a stress on them.

With fish from the store honestly I usually just float for 15 minutes then net the fish from the bag to the tank. All the pet stores around me have the same kind of tapwater so its not much different.

Back
Top Bottom