I'm getting a BIG used tank for free.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

My mom told a colleague at work about my tank breaking. He told her that i can have his tank. I don't know how big it is, but it's BIG (i think in the range of 50gal+). I can also have the filter that comes with it. This is a tank that the colleague inherited from his wife's father. So i'm guessing it's old.
It now houses 2 turtles. The ones with red cheeks. And they're big: about 8 inches each. I want to get rid of them. I'm going to call a shop that sells tropical animals nearby. If I remember correctly they also sell these turtles(big ones, there are several shops that sell small ones). Do you think they would take them?
If not, does anyone have a good recipe for turtle soup? (Sorry Toirtis if you read this :wink: )

Since this is an old tank, and probably has not been filled up completely for a long time, what should i do to test it and make sure it's safe? I would also get the stand, so that's no longer a problem (see previous thread by me, in short: my 30 gal broke by using a bad stand)
Should i worry about putting a lets say 50 gal on the 2nd floor of a house? Weight problems? It's a recent house, built in the 80's.

TIA

Thomas

I would fill it up and check for bowing. 50 gallons should be no problem whatsoever on a second floor. You may want to position it so it runs across the floorboards, not just putting all its weight on one.

to test the tank, leave it outside for a couple of days (or in a garage) with it completely full of water. However, if it is snowing/very cold (icy), I wouldn't do this.

Billsgate said:
Hi,

It now houses 2 turtles. The ones with red cheeks. And they're big: about 8 inches each. I want to get rid of them. I'm going to call a shop that sells tropical animals nearby. If I remember correctly they also sell these turtles(big ones, there are several shops that sell small ones). Do you think they would take them?
If not, does anyone have a good recipe for turtle soup? (Sorry Toirtis if you read this :wink: )

Aha! Caught! :wink: Chances are that you will find that getting someone to take a pair of large red-eared sliders is going to be fairly difficult...even here in Canada, where they are less common, it takes me weeks and weeks to find homes for them via my rescue. Turning them into soup would actually be no more distasteful than beef soup or chicken soup, as they are farmed by the millions, so no wild populations are impacted, but since they have not been raised as a food animal (conditions, food-animal safe meds and diet), I wouldn't.

If it is a tank that has not been filled all the way for a while, but has had water in it for the red-ears, then it will need to be tested but is not as iffy as the ones used for reptiles (often much thinner glass). I'd go with Rubysoho's method and test it outside somewhere, or at least in an area where it won't hurt anything if it leaks over a period of 3-4 days. If it passes the test then you can go for it.

Congratulations - I love these kinds of stories!

Place it against a wall perpendicular to the floor joists and you'll be in good shape - not going to weigh any more than a bathtub filled and a fella taking a soak, lol!

Congrats on your new tank. I hope you don't have any problem offloading the sliders. Check around for reptile societies in you area - you may find a willing taker there.

Finally, after testiing the tank for water-tightness, be sure to completely disinfect it with a dilute bleach solution followed by lots and lots of rinsing.

TankGirl said:
If it is a tank that has not been filled all the way for a while, but has had water in it for the red-ears, then it will need to be tested but is not as iffy as the ones used for reptiles (often much thinner glass). I'd go with Rubysoho's method and test it outside somewhere, or at least in an area where it won't hurt anything if it leaks over a period of 3-4 days. If it passes the test then you can go for it.

Congratulations - I love these kinds of stories!

Place it against a wall perpendicular to the floor joists and you'll be in good shape - not going to weigh any more than a bathtub filled and a fella taking a soak, lol!

That's very important! My friend once had a 50 or so gallon tank that he used for his water dragons. His dragons eventually died and he tried using it for his oscar. Well, that tank wasn't meant for aquariums so it busted and pretty much ruined his new wood floor!

Thanks guys,

waiting for my mom to come home, she was going to ask about the exact size of the tank today.
I wonder shall i stock it with?........., lets see..........I'm deffinetly moving my keyhole cichlids into it, simply because i love them and want them to have an outrageous amount of space......... :D
They'll be the only 'big' fish in there i believe........Maybe 1 angel, love them as well.
Then some cories....Would they pose a problem with breeding keyholes? Would they eat eggs or do you think the cichlids will protect their nest well enough? And then some Cardinal tetras......or something else.....a nice schooling fishie. And some small plecos....male and female so they can breed...... :p

It's good to dream about tanks :D

Thomas

I would think about resealing the tank as well. I got a 125 gallon for a steal about 18 months ago, and resealed it to be safe. It's not hard - I put an article on it in the "Articles" section on this site.

Better than having 50 gallons leak onto your floor...

Nice score on the tank!

Back
Top Bottom