I'm 'hexed' (60 gallon on sale at LFS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah IC!

It's probably the fact that you live in Canada that limits your selection. I'm assuming (probably not entirely correctly) that the stores stock All-Glass (R) aquariums less up there. Is this right? Do you happen to remember off the top of your head the manufacturer of these tanks? Is it perfecto, All-Glass etc?

Also, are you converting to gallons for us from liters, or are these tanks' capacities marked in gallons?

I've given you a hard time over selection not realizing that the three you narrowed your choice down to are in fact your only real choices! Sorry about that. Of the three, I would support the 54. I'd take depth over excessive height any day. And Holly is right that a deeper tank is nice for tiering your plant types (microswords, banana plants etc. at the front, amazon swords, java ferns in the middle, cabomba, pennywort, moneywort, vals at the back.

**Go for the 54.** If your LFS offers it and has the appropriate parts (glass tops) then I think you're doing the right thing. As you'll probably want extra light, a standard light fixture won't be enough (sorry if I said it was before... I forget). You'll want ~150 watts of light (roughly 3 watts per gallon). Oh, right. AlliV said that... Also, you'll want natural-spectrum light bulbs to accompany these fixtures.

I can remember quite vividly how it felt thinking about these abstract shapes when I was surfing the web, especially Ebay looking for my *big* tank. I kept on thinking to myself "but how big is it really?" No amount of measuring out with my tape measure prepared me for the 55! It is huge and wonderful. I love the tank.

*One last caveat.* Brian is right. You're going to have invest a fair amount of time and money in this tank to make it *planted*--the reef tank of FW aquarists :D . Your light fixture and bulbs will be costly, as will the 2-3 bags of fluorite substrate or laterite. You can go with large DIY CO2 injectors or get a mechanical one online with CO2 cartridges. But don't allow the expense to put you off. Having a successful planted tank is an absolute blessing. My small 10 planted is the tank ppl look at most when they come by. The plants are so soothing and beautiful!! Just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. It's worth it!

(P.S. I'm thinking of eventually converting my 55 into a planted tank. Just can't afford ATM!!)

HTH.

The are marked as "All Glass" but I think they are manufactured locally and not necessarily the same as what I have read on here.

I am not converting.. They are marked as gallons. The 54 gallon measures as 36x18x20 inches (I went and measured it).

I was thinking after my last post that the width might be effective for some slate rock at front / and some driftwood at the middle..

I will get a glass top! If I can afford it I want to get the right lighting and top right away with it...

I will have to do a lot of reading regarding planted tanks. I currently have gravel substrate and was thinking of doing small river pebble stuff in my new one. The planting portion / C02 may end up being long term conversion project for me as well. I like the idea of having secondary goals for the tank. Hopefully this might help me with my MTS hehe.... 4 stages to my tank instead of 4 tanks!

I am looking at starting to set this up feb / mar of next year. Like I said before I took the intial baby step early this week with the purchase of heater and filter! If i break down and by the 54 it will be stored for 3 or 4 months anyway which might give me time to figure out the plant part!

Thanks so much for you help!

*grin* Decide what other bits you want for the tank (the glass top, what sort of substrate, lighting, etc) and make a Xmas/Channukah list!

So I found a big al's! it is a fair distance from me but I talked them on the phone..

"55's? ya I got a bunch of 55's.. I got what ever you want!"

So ROADTRIP! I can't do the 54.... I want it to be a long tank like we were discussing....

"55's? ya I got a bunch of 55's.. I got what ever you want!"

Glad you were able to find what you wanted. Almost wished I lived further north. I'd love to have a 90 gal. :lol: My wife would kill me. :roll:

still haven't done the road trip down to big al's was talking to a friend about how our walmarts don't have tanks like they do in the good old USA. He handed me a flyer the next day and they are bringing in 44 gallon corner tanks. They are not bow fronts though. Just three pieces of glass to make it sort of angled. I still intend to look for a regular 55 or if I get silly maybe a bowfront or maybe just a bucket. (just kidding)

justmy2cents: i know that one is fresh and one is sw but between your 46 bow and your 55 gal which do you like better.

Back
Top Bottom