I'm 'hexed' (60 gallon on sale at LFS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw at LFS a 60 gallon hex... Good idea or bad? Like hex's?? Or dislike them? I would use it as a freshwater tank. I have an 8 Gallon and it's been great for me.... I have corys / neon / cardinals / and guppies... Would love to make the 8 the quarantine tank and have the 60 as my 'real tank....

also instead of two threads anyone care to comment on betta bowls... good or bad?

thanks,

mooooooose

Have one (a 25).

Don't like. Fish swim back and forth, not up and down! Mine, too deep to light properly, plants get leggy.

I'd take a regular 55 over a 60 hex any day.

thanks! appreciate the feedback! :)

Looking for something between 29 and 55 for my 'real tank' going to take my time and get the right one hopefully....

any betta experts out there for part 2 of my question.....

I c no problem with Hexes. Never had one, though! In a saving move, their design eliminates the need for a background by being a great centerpiece in rooms (assuming you can attatch the filter in such a way as to make it unobtrusive--a canister filter would be perfect). What would really really really really (big emphasis here!) bring a hex together is a perfect piece of driftwood. Imagine how good your hex would look with a 24" or 30" piece of wood rising from the gravel up to the water surface!! You could attach moss to it and it would be breathtaking. You'd have to look around in LFSs and on Ebay, but I guarantee this would be beautiful. Then again, this is just a figment of my imagination--I've never seen it done.

OK, this is a really crummy example. I'm sure you could find a much better piece elsewhere. But you get the idea: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2356007569&category=3212

And, of course, the driftwood would be perfect for your cardinals, neons, cories and perhaps even guppies, as at least the first 3 prefer a low pH.

You say "on sale." How much on sale?? The hexes at my LFS are criminally expensive.

Oh and Betta bowls. Though Bettas can survive in small spaces, I think they look much happier in 10 gallon+ aquariums. It's a matter of personal and moral choice, really. You're not *immoral* if you put a betta in a bowl, it's just your own personal moral prerogative. I'd go with a small tank, and perhaps a mate or two! You would get to see bubble nests in person!

that would be cool! :) I would love to see some bubble nesting.... :)

How low is good low pH.... It is naturally higher in my tank.

Thanks madasafish and i love your footer tagline it always makes me laugh.

the hex was 100 dollars cheaper than the regular 55Gal....

Oh and Betta bowls. Though Bettas can survive in small spaces, I think they look much happier in 10 gallon+ aquariums. It's a matter of personal and moral choice, really. You're not *immoral* if you put a betta in a bowl, it's just your own personal moral prerogative. I'd go with a small tank, and perhaps a mate or two! You would get to see bubble nests in person!

I've been thinking of starting a 10 to 20 gallon tank. I have one male beta in a two gallon tank now that I would like to add to a community tank. I like dwarf gourami's. Does anyone know if there are any compatability issues? What are some other fish I could add without getting into tetras, which are not asthetically pleasing to me.

To address the original concern about the 60 gal hex, I agree with corvuscorax. Fish swim back and forth. With a tall tank you're limiting yourself to the surface area similar to that of a much smaller tank.

3 comments.

Webmoose:

1: Bettas and Gouramis are not good tankmates. I've seen dozens of threads complaining about this in the past, and know gouramis to be territorial (mostly to conspecifics, but sometimes to other fish if the same size). It's an idea many ppl have, but one you'd best steer clear of!!

2: A good low pH for these guys would be 6.5. Most cories like the 6 range, as do neons. Cardinals prefer even lower pH... 4.6-6.5 or so!!! 6.5 is a good compromise for all these fish, and I think you'll find the driftwood will naturally lower the pH. I've noticed that all these fish can survive in nautral pH if they've grown up in it at a breeder's or if they've been sufficiently well acclimated by dealers/retailers. I'd still provide them with a more natural environment...

Cage, Raven and Moose:

3: It's true that many fish swim back and forth. Some species love to swim up and down, though. Zebra danios certainly do, and my neons always move up and down my tank. What's great about the driftwood idea is that these fish will all pick at the wood, looking for small scraps of food. As a result, they'll move up and down it. Ooh, and think how great that wood would be for a couple of dwarf plecos. Also, if you're concerned about the impracticality of a high tank, think seriously about layering fish. Get bottom feeders, middle feeders and surface feeders. Good examples of each follow:

Bottom: All loaches, esp. Kuhli loaches, Yoyo Loaches, Angelicus Loaches. All corydoras (Cory) cats.

Middle: Neons, cardinals. Most fish, really. You're set, though.

Upper: Zebra Danios, *Hatchetfish* (Marble Hatchets are the easiest, and are THE quintessential example of a surface fish), many gouramis.

Of course, cleaning a hex is a little harder... All in all a little less practical. But think how rewarding it is as a showpiece!!

P.S. Hehe. You're giving me relative numbers... How modest! the 55s at my LFS are only $50. Are you talking about acryllic tanks? I'd say go with the Hex if it's under $100. I think the glass hex tanks usually go for about $130-$160. Just a vague approximation, though.

I've read that longer tanks are always better than taller tanks for keeping more fish because more surface area is exposed to oxygen.

I don't like hex tanks, personally. I don't like the way the glass is segmented into small pieces. It takes away from the view of the fish, I think.

I have a 30 gallon cube that I like. Its kind of cool in that you can view a large amount of surface space from the front or the sides. If you like unusual shapes, you might try a cube or a bowfront.

My first tank was a small hex. I liked the way it looked (I use it now for QT; its only 8g). Sati is correct in saying that longer tanks have better O2/CO2 exchange as they have more surface area; as long as you don't overstock tho, and keep the surface agitated it shouldn't be a problem. Taller tanks are actually great tanks for angelfish (*grin* here I go madasa). Angels need the height to accomodate the fins and would look lovely in a 60g. Personally, if its a great deal, I'd go for it.

As for betta bowls, feh. Bettas need a minimum of 1g IMHO, and the more the better. I keep my guy in a 2 1/2g tank and he's a healthy pig. The thought that they live in puddles is really not true; yes, the areas they live in will experience droughts and they will wind up in small bodies of water (hence the need for the labrynthian organ), but they don't spend ALL their time in there. If you ever see a pic of a rice paddy you'll see what I mean by they originally came from larger bodies of water. Also, same issue with surface area. Yeah they can breathe air, but they mostly breathe IN the water. The less O2 in the water the less happy they can be. Betta bowls have a VERY small surface area. Interesting little article on them here: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/archive/lifestyle/000528newslife2.html and here: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art3521.asp

But, let's be honest. Oxygenation of the water--is that often a reason for dead fish?? I think if you have a weak filter it might be, or if you have no bubblers. If there's a blackout it will be a problem, but it would be in any tank... I think this is only a problem for ppl who don't know that they need a filter in the first place, really...... (It's a good point to bring up, though, Sati)

I'd recommend a canister filter with intake tube and outflow tube running down the conection between the panes of glass. Further, a pump tube running down parallel to each one, and under the gravel (epoxy it down, perhaps). Then the air stones could be strategically placed in the middle of the tank (perhaps under a pc of driftwood!?).

As long as there's some agitation, I really don't think this is a big deal... Now, Madame_X brings up a valid point. If you're not into the glass-segmentation thing, don't get a hex. But if the design tempts you, get it. Moose, I'm still behind you 100% on this one!

P.S. Alli's being typical!!! :D :D She's right about the Angels--they would appreciate the vertical space with their crazy fins. But, Alli, would they and the cardinals get on? You might have to reconsider small fish in there. I'll try to think of some other fish that would really appreciate the space... I know that in SW terms, Batfish would love you for it. Check them out--I've seen ones 2x the height of angels... they get quite large, too!! What else....

Actually. Now that I think about it, I'm sure Kuhli Loaches would appreciate the height, too. I've had them for a while, and they really enjoy having long/tall panes of glass to swim against. Just an idea...

OK, I gotta stop. I'm dictating here! Sorry Moose. Get the tank, and let us know how it goes! Take tons a of pictures and post them. We all LOVE pictures.

As long as the cards are established prior to the angels, are adult sized and the angels are juvies when they enter, it actually shouldn't be a prob. The issue arises when cards/neons are introduced to established adult angel tanks, especially when the cards/neons are small. Generally angels won't see them as food IF they are already there. Of course, your mileage may vary LOL

I had a betta and 2 angels in a 10g and they did OK together. As soon as I put a natural tree (wisteria) the betta was even building bubble nests (pretty cool). I had an aerator and aqua clear mini filter. The betta ever survived my beginner attempts at new tank syndrome. However shortly after I moved it to a bigger (45g) community tank, it died. Someone told me bettas don't do really well in 20g+ tanks as they get exhausted from swimming around too much (they think they are charting terretory) but I dont know too much on this. But I do know their long fins make them incompatible with a lot of fish (some nip their tail, for others the betta chases them if they have long fins too).

On the hex, if you want big fish IMHO don't go for the hex. Fish (usually) swim back and forth and a wide tank is good for size growth.

As a side note... I went back to Hanover Pet in New Jersey today. I saw a 8-inch clown loach. He was SO unhappy looking and VERY dull. Looked like somebody had bought him and hadn't been told how large these fish get...

Oh, and I said they had at least 10 species of Plec last time I posted about Hanover Pet. Well, I counted 15 species this time!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOO awesome. Including the long-finned albino plec! Check it: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1659
If you have a chance, anyone. Check this place out. It's not HUGE, but I love their selection.

Yo, I'm so good for business!

I have got to get my butt there one of these days....wish I had room for that clown, but with the angel and yoyo coming next weekend, im pushing things as is LOL

I am also curious btw; how much were they asking for the 60g hex?

Yeah. Don't be ashamed to say. We all have spent thousands of dollars on our tanks... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

(Well, I'll speak for myself!)

Back
Top Bottom