Im looking for advice on koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itzblackmayne

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a baby koi i got him a day ago and hes not eating and im concerned because he is a platinum ogon I got him from a breeder for $150
papers and every thing like his blood line and all
And I will was wanting to know what should I do
I have the koi pellets and he's not eating help
Please

Is he in a tank or a pond. Thanks. I keep koi in a pond and they prefer sinking food in the colder months. Also had a small Malaysian koi in a tank but he ate like a horse

It could also be that it's still trying to get used to new surroundings. It can take fish some time to get themselves adjusted to a new environment.

And what is the temp? Is he inside or outside? How big is a "baby"?

Also, what are your water parameters?

If the koi was kept in temp under 60F, it might be getting ready to hibernate & will top eating. <Also, if the koi is getting out of hibernation, it might take a few days before they start eating ... >

No need to panic just yet ... koi can go without food for days.

He's 3 in and after looking in to the temp it's 77 in tank and I live in Texas and it's 70 he's in a growth tank so a 30 gallon till he gets bigger then I'll move to a 55 then I'll move him in with my rtc in a 750 gallon he's vary lively but he doesn't go to the top of the tank to eat

He might just be getting used to tank life. Was the tank cycled? I have a few koi and they aren't too finicky even in 40F water.

Yes it was cycled 48 hours before arrival and I think he's getting better some of the food has disappeared but it's only when I leave the room and the only fish I know to be like that is my Oscar when I first got him because they memorize faces are koi like that are they intelligent like oscars please let me know thank you

Thank you dragonfish I'm going to move the koi to the 55 that has a Oscar in it but I'll divide them of corse but for a day or two it should work

He's 3 in and after looking in to the temp it's 77 in tank and I live in Texas and it's 70 he's in a growth tank so a 30 gallon till he gets bigger then I'll move to a 55 then I'll move him in with my rtc in a 750 gallon he's vary lively but he doesn't go to the top of the tank to eat

3" is a good size already, so you can afford to wait a day or 2 for him to settle.

If the fish had been feed sinking pellets exclusively, it might not know to go to the surface for food. You can try sinking food or soak the food till it sinks to see if he will do better. <Also, if you have a bare bottom tank, it would be easy to see if he had eaten any of the sunken food.> I would not worry too much as long as the fish is lively & looking for food.

Koi & goldfish are quite intelligent. They will associate a certain spot of the tank/pond, the presence of certain people, or maybe even time of day with feeding time. So when they move to a new tank, it might take them a while to figure out where the food is & so on. This is esp. true if the fish is alone. When I have fish in QT, it is not unusual to see them ignoring food in the beginning, as the fish doesn't know that it is feeding time. The fish just spend all day looking for food & eventually will discover where the food is. <I leave the food in the tank for 24 hr or more ... not too much so it doesn't foul the water ... never have to fish out any that is uneaten yet ...>

When I move to fish to the main tank, the presence of other "trained" fish makes feeding much easier. They must be able to communicate somehow. As soon as the older fish go to the feeding spot at feeding time, the new fish invariably follows & learn about the feeding routine immediately ....

Thank you dragonfish I'm going to move the koi to the 55 that has a Oscar in it but I'll divide them of corse but for a day or two it should work

Or just take some of the media from the other tank to put in the koi tank, you should have a cycled tank if you transfer enough bacteria. <Check levels daily to be sure.>

Back
Top Bottom