Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im not sure if one of my Yo Yo loaches is sick

So i have a 55 gallon tank with 5 yo yo loaches in it and one of them seems to have something wrong with it and im a bit worried.

He is laying on the bottom of the tank kinda laying on his side and it seems like his mouth is stuck open. I would describe it as a permanent yawn i guess.

All the other loaches are doing great going all around the tank digging around and stuff but this little guy just seems off.

please help

Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of substrate do you have? Is it possible he has a piece of gravel stuck in his jaw?

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

I have basically smooth black gravel pebbles with the and average size of like 1 cm so i dont think he has something in his mouth and the gravel isn't sharp so i wouldn't think he hurt his face really. I got a pretty good look at him head on and i dont think i see anything in his mouth.

Idk i hope hes alright they have all been so active i dont know what could be going wrong with him. The water is perfect only thing thats raised is the pH but the other ones are doing just fine in the water.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it breathing fast(gasping)? Can you see any redness around the gill area, other than the normal color of the gills themselves? Compare the respiration rate to the other loaches. How long have they been in the tank?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #5

Yes it seems to be gasping but its gils and barbs on its face seems fine...hes just sitting at the bottom of the tank with his mouth open panting....Hes about a week old in this tank but so are the others and they are doing great...
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

what are your readings?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #7

So i just did a 25% water change and i will be checking what the water reading are in a little. But they were 0 for ammonia and nitrites and between 10-20 for nitrates and my ph is normally around 7.4-7.6ish hard to tell with the colors on the test...

But he has all of his color and and his scales seem find no spots or anything but hes just sitting there still panting with his mouth open..

will get back to you later with what the water is
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a spare tank I would move the fish to that tank and try treating the fish for parasites. If there is no redness at the gill area that helps rule out bacterial infection. I have had fish show the symptoms you are describing and they had gill parasites. Your water parameters seemed in line, so that would not appear to be the problem. Try treating with salt for a week or so, if that don't work you may have to resort to meds.Praziquantel or acriflavine would be a starting point, also malachite green formalin combo should work.Make sure to keep as much O2 in the water as possible.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster53
If you have a spare tank I would move the fish to that tank and try treating the fish for parasites. If there is no redness at the gill area that helps rule out bacterial infection. I have had fish show the symptoms you are describing and they had gill parasites. Your water parameters seemed in line, so that would not appear to be the problem. Try treating with salt for a week or so, if that don't work you may have to resort to meds.Praziquantel or acriflavine would be a starting point, also malachite green formalin combo should work.Make sure to keep as much O2 in the water as possible.
Yoyo loaches are scaleless so therefore you cannot treat them with Melachite Green etc. as far as I know.

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I forgot one very important piece of info.If you use anything containing Malachite Green or any meds containing dye of any kind use at half the recommended dose for scaleless fish. Can't believe I forgot that Thank you for catching my error

Tags
ick, loach, loaches, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com