I'm on a mission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as I was running around today I stopped in to check out an LFS other than the big chain guys. Having never been in anything other than the big guys I wasn't sure what to expect. Their items seemed to be fairly expensive or at least not any less so than the big guys, very small selection of aquariums, lots of fish. I'm on the hunt for about a 30g freshwater aquarium & stand, looked on Craigslist with no luck & I don't have the patience to wait, gotta get my current boys & girls better situated. Have a few more LFS's to check out tomorrow. Would really like to get something this weekend but we'll see.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Petco is having the dollar a gallon sale right now

Only cons about that is you have to pay for a hood(depends on what you have in it),light,heater (if you have to) ,filter and by this it gets you. I don't think well of dollar per gallon sale.

Fishie said:
Only cons about that is you have to pay for a hood(depends on what you have in it),light,heater (if you have to) ,filter and by this it gets you. I don't think well of dollar per gallon sale.

$1 a gallon is a great deal for a glass tank. Retail is much more.

Fishie said:
Only if you want to have a tank! >.<

Petsmart usually has the kits which is how I bought my 2 10g tanks. With the bigger tank I also need the stand & that is a challenge, I want square base, not legs. Plus I'm trying to find a tank that is longer & not quite so tall. The Petco aquariums I've looked at don't fit the bill of what I want. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

I don't know what you can buy with a thirty but they have 29 gallon kits.

Shadownova said:
I don't know what you can buy with a thirty but they have 29 gallon kits.

This is true, I think there is also a 40g. I know I'm going to be spending some big money because I have to purchase all the substrate, plants & decorations. May have to break down my purchases.

This is true, I think there is also a 40g. I know I'm going to be spending some big money because I have to purchase all the substrate, plants & decorations. May have to break down my purchases.

Pool filter sand or play sand is a cheap alternative substrate if you want to go the sand route. Craigslist and ebay listings- (they have pickup only local listingsas well) usually pick up over the weekend. Congrats on getting a new tank!!

Well I think I got a fairly good deal. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it's pretty darn close. Went to Petsmart & they had a 46g bow front Marineland aquarium & stand for $251. The stand had a couple small dings which I pointed out & the left door didn't shut just right. The manager fixed the door & took 25% off the already discounted price so the final price was $189. The down side, I had to buy the filter & heater it came with a light hood & glass top. Now the FUN part, get it set up & cycling!

Back
Top Bottom