I'm overwhelmed. What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been researching like crazy in preparation for getting a 75 gallon tank this month when all of a sudden I saw a deal for a 180 gallon tank instead. It's through a local guy instead of a pet store so it actually costs less for the 180 and everything to set it up than the pet store is charging for the 75.

Well this has thrown my weeks of researching and notes out the window because it opens up a whole new realm of fish. What would you put into a 180?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Freshwater? Community with angels, rainbows, and a huge school of harlequin rasboras.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, freshwater. I'd love to do saltwater but aside from a 55 gallon tank I had years ago, I've only had small tanks for bettas. I already feel a tank this size is going to be a lot to take on initially and making it saltwater just adds another level to that.

How many of each of those would you say? I was researching angels for the 75 but do you think they'd be too iffy if two pair up and begin getting aggressive with the others or is the likelihood of that happening slim?

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely look deeper into it.

In that size tank I'd think you could get away with 8? just be ready to rehome if things get heated. Depending on your budget? I've been dying to see someone pull off the massive flock of rainbows, they're amazing fish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have the room I'd go big. Never fails you get a tank and a month later you want something bigger. It's happened to me twice and I'm still looking for that deal on a 120 tank. What were your original thoughts for the tank?

Also to piggy back on the post above, a large school of rainbows would be awesome. Rainbows as your main school, bring in some vibrant color with a school of neon tetras, put about 10 Cory's for the bottom. Whichever algae eater you want Otos maybe? For larger fish you can look into Gourami's

For the 75 I was looking at different African cichlids, I just found out about the 180 like 40 minutes ago so absolutely no ideas about it. But, I was thinking about going with more Mbuna or switching to looking at central or southern American ones. But I'm also a huge fan of eels, not really sure of the different types I'd be able to look into and what I could put in with it.

I have no experience with eels. If you end up going ciclid you will have plenty of room for any African specie you decide to go with. I can give you advise on Mbuna since I have a tank with 15 in it. If you decide New World or another specie might want to post in Ciclid forum for advise. With a tank that big sky is the limit. You can pretty much pick whatever you want and run with it, unlike those who have small tanks and have to try and upgrade before the fish get too big.

Bumblebees, dusty, red zebra, dolphin, yellow lab, demansoni, Hongi lab, Electric Blue Iceberg Ahi, IceBlue Zebra, Ice White Zebra

I have a BN pleco and Feather Fin Catfish in with them.

Back
Top Bottom