im so excited!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
finally we decided to sell our house and we bought a lot in which we are going to build the house of our dreams....and THAT means a built-in fish tank!!! oh my good i cant wait...but thats not why im posting...while they build our house we are going to have to stay in another house so im gonna have to move my fish tanks...its my 29gal im worried about...i can put the fish in one of those rubbermaid container with tank water but do u have to empty the whole tank??? because i have plants in there so im not quite sure how to go ahead with this...thanks....

I would empty the entire tank, only leaving the decor, substrate, heater, and filter inside. The fish put in a tub with tank water. Be sure also to put the filter pads in tank water during the move. This will prevent them from drying out. The plants you can put in the container with the fish if you're not concerned with them eating or harming the roots. Otherwise go to the lfs and get some of their fish bags and rubber bands. Then just fill the bag with tank water and put in your plants. That's what I did.

BTW- Congrats! :D

oh i see...i thought i wasnt supposed to remove the plants from the gravel...but obviously i have to....thanks for the advice and the congrats....the architect who is going to build our house has a built in fish tank himself...so next time we go there ill take a pic and post it...it is really beautiful...thanks again :mrgreen:

You can leave the plants in the substrate. I removed mine because they were small and didn't really have time to root in yet. You could get away with keeping them in the tank, but make it a quick move so the plants don't dry out. I wouldn't keep any water in the tank if leaving the substrate inside. To me it's just too iffy when moving water and substrate in a tank larger than 10 gal.

and when you moved you moved all those tanks in your signature??? and here i am making noise for having to move only 2...and one of them is a 5gal acrylic...hehe... :mrgreen:

Yes we moved them all. :D Next time we're renting a U-Haul. We had two car loads and two truck loads to get it all moved. And in December we are moving again. Our last move was only about 15 miles away, but when we move in December it's about 100 miles away so we can't take multiple trips. THAT will be fun. :D When I moved the 5 gal hex I was in the passanger side holding it on my lap. That poor betta just kept staring at me like Make it stop, please make it stop. :D

LOL...that must have been a lot of work! and i can imagine your poor betta...oh well...i got one thing out of the way...i just moved the 2 lady platies to the 29 gal...so im gonna keep that 5gal as a QT for now and then when we finally have our house ready(looooong way to go btw) ill find someone to live in it...but i wouldnt wanna be in your shoes when its time to move again...good luck and thanks for the advice! :mrgreen:

James is already in anticipation of the move. We may actually move to a rental house for a few months until we buy one so that will be ANOTHER move. BUT, the second move will only be across town or a few minutes away. Nothing like the December move. I hope everything turns out good for you. :D Moving is never fun when you have to worry about your fish. I am dreading hauling all that stuff 100 miles in the back of a U-Haul. Talk about poor Betta. He'll REALLY be sloshing around in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom