Im starting to feel left out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
Following a tragic complete wipe out of my stock, i have decieded to restock with Discus. All is going so well, I have 6 and love them... why I feel left out.

I really don't think many other people have discus in this forum :( I look and look for discusion and articles, and they are few and far between. Looks like the tropical fish and cichlids win. I was viewing another forum for awhile www.discusforums.com, but there just isn't much activity and not nearly the knowledge on this board.

From now on, I feel everybody should buy discus thus I will have more to talk about *sarcasm

Plenty of individuals on this forum have Discus. Right now are the slow months of the forum. Wait until September and October and more members will be around. With it being summer a lot of people go on vacations or spend quite a bit of time outside. Cichlids are very popular, but a Discus is a Cichid. :)

Yeah, they're really picky about water conditions. Very beautiful fish though.

Discus are harder to take care of since they are sensitive and they are more expensive. But they are gorgeous when they are healthy.

i have discus i like to brag. lol sorry but i do.
i have 9 healthy happy ones. and there beautiful. if you want to talk about then pm me. im always here.
i know of a few other people that keep discus on here.
as for discus forums it is really good information. But they are in australia so there is big time difference when the boom of posts are.
Goodluck with them.

I agree, there are more Discus keepers on this board than you can imagine. This board also has the privilege of having a Discus expert in BrianNY. Zagz and HiFi are also Discus keepers. I would suggest contacting them directly if info is needed.

IME I didn't think discus care was that much different to any other cichlid. As long as you keep good water conditions and feeding habits like anyone else would, it will be fine.

just my 2 cents

I'd love to have Discus, if I had the time to do twice weekly water changes and money to buy them...but I don't. Other fish are more forgiving IMO if you go a week and a half before you do a water change, but I would be afraid to do that with Discus. Also, I would worry about every little thing because they are so expensive (especially at the LFSs around here). That's why I haven't tried them yet...but I do have future plans!

imo discus are forgiving. unless they are wild. think about they are tank raised and all fish adapt to things. i was doing my waterchanges every third day got so sick i couldnt get out of bed for another three and they still love me and are very happy. when water changes really matter and all that stuff is if you want to breed them.
ive read on different sites that people go a week with out water changes. Its about what works with them and there fish. im not saying everyone go out and buy them they are easy. But you can usually tell when they are unhappy or happy.
i do my waterchanges every 2-3 days cause i feel it works for me
i dont know im just rambling

my email didn't alert me to this message. Im glad to see there are other discus keepers on the board. I love my guys and they are so happy. Just not much discussion regarding specific discus threads, hence my post. thansk for letting me know there are other discus people out there

I would love to have discus too, but there is noooo way that my girlfriend would let me get another tank. And there's no way I would put Discus in a 30G, and they won't survive an hour in my 90G. :(

I do have to agree, they are very, very beautiful. The range of colours that they come in is astounding.

Back
Top Bottom