Im upgrading to a larger tank should i keep the same dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of dirt is it? Are you not going to use the aquarium you have now? If not, I would lean towards using the same "dirt" because the substrate does carry some good bacteria in it to seed the new aquarium.. But really, it's all on your preference and if you want to venture into using something different or not..

You might have a very hard time separating the dirt from the cap but it can be done. You probably won't have enough dirt for a larger tank so what I would do and actually have done is remove the old dirt and put it in the new tank then add some new dry dirt to it. If the new dirt doesn't absorb enough water and the dirt is still very wet I'd let it dry out until it's moist. Then add you cap and go from there.

Reusing Substrate

Same dirt or new ?

Hello Zinn...

When I moved to larger tanks, I reused everything I could. I just cleaned the substrate well and added new. Of course I used, standard pea-sized gravel. I didn't worry about losing beneficial bacteria by cleaning the substrate, because I had plenty in all the other things I transferred to the new tank like the filter medium, lava rocks, driftwood and all the plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom