I'm very pleased...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, since I got rid of the old plants in my mum's tank and put in some new ones, the algae on the glass seems to be fading leaving just the algae on the driftwood for the little guy to chomp on... :D

Also, I put the Fluval 3 in there to seed, then the cheapo filter will be removed, to do what I don't know yet... :D

What are the old and new plants? Is this the only change or you added a new Fluval 3 filter?

gu2high said:
What are the old and new plants? Is this the only change or you added a new Fluval 3 filter?

In all honesty, I haven't a clue what the plants are, old or new, all I know is that they're green and occasionally come with free snails... :mrgreen:

All that's changed in the tank is that I swapped most of the plants (there were 2 nice big long-leaf plants in there already) a couple of weeks ago and I put the Fluval in there on Wednesday, to replace the one that came with the tank, after giving it a soak in diluted vinegar to clean off anything that was left behind... :)

But since the addition of the plants the algae which had been a pain to clean off has started to reduce, which makes the tank look nicer... :D

But, the driftwood is still making the tank look like cold Tea!!!! :lol:

If you added some stem plants to replace some rooted ones that would help reduce the nutrients in the water and keep the algae growth down. As far as the driftwood goes it may never stop adding tannins (makes the water change color) but the amount should diminish over time.

gheitman said:
If you added some stem plants to replace some rooted ones that would help reduce the nutrients in the water and keep the algae growth down. As far as the driftwood goes it may never stop adding tannins (makes the water change color) but the amount should diminish over time.

The original and established plants were being stripped bare by the two orandas, so they were literally just stalks by the time I got some new plants, but they had some good roots on them and I wouldn't be too surprised if the remaining roots sprouted new plants... :D

As for the driftwood, well, it gives the tank some colour and kind of reminds me of a pond... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom