Imagintive Aquarium Themes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonata

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am interested in how to change, or create, an aquarium's theme.

For example, I started a " fun tank " for my grandchildren, complete with multi - coloured neon gravel, etc.

I had indended to go with 2 goldfish, until a member told me that they would soon outgrow the tank & I didn't want to get into that.

I decided, instead, to go with a "natural looking" tropical community tank.

I guess that depends on your definition of " natural."

Decorations are no problem. Remove the castles, the brightly coloured plastic plants & the bubbling clam ?

Perhaps, none of the above ?

The lost city of Atlantis, perhaps ?

Now.. to the gravel. I'm stubborn & cheap. I don't want to throw it out & spend money on more. I don't want to disrupt the tank. I'm determined to make it work.

How to change this into something "natural" looking ? That is the question.

One member suggested a jungle tank. Once that is established, the gravel cannot be seen.

I have had much success with planted tanks. I am patient. I can wait.

Any other ideas ?

I'd love to hear about your tanks. Do we have sunken ships, lost cities, jungles, mountains, a haunted forest ?

We are only limited by our imaginations. :fish2:

Thanks guys. :) :thanks: :fish1: (y)

I am interested in how to change, or create, an aquarium's theme.

For example, I started a " fun tank " for my grandchildren, complete with multi - coloured neon gravel, etc.

I had indended to go with 2 goldfish, until a member told me that they would soon outgrow the tank & I didn't want to get into that.

I decided, instead, to go with a "natural looking" tropical community tank.

I guess that depends on your definition of " natural."

Decorations are no problem. Remove the castles, the brightly coloured plastic plants & the bubbling clam ?

Perhaps, none of the above ?

The lost city of Atlantis, perhaps ?

Now.. to the gravel. I'm stubborn & cheap. I don't want to throw it out & spend money on more. I don't want to disrupt the tank. I'm determined to make it work.

How to change this into something "natural" looking ? That is the question.

One member suggested a jungle tank. Once that is established, the gravel cannot be seen.

I have had much success with planted tanks. I am patient. I can wait.

Any other ideas ?

I'd love to hear about your tanks. Do we have sunken ships, lost cities, jungles, mountains, a haunted forest ?

We are only limited by our imaginations. :fish2:

Thanks guys. :) :thanks: :fish1: (y)

None of my tanks are decorated with more than rock or drift wood.

But did mold a dragon and created a small village out of styrofoam and "great stuff"village on the bottom of my pond. Not that you can see them through the lily pads, iris and other plants lol. Would post a pic but really all you would see is non descript pieces covered in algae since has been down there 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could just get a small bag of gravel and put a thin layer over the neon stuff. Just make a tank however you like it! :)

EDIT: I like the jungle idea.

I also prefer a natural look in my tanks. I agree about a thin layer of a more natural looking gravel on top of the neon. Then perhaps some nice size rocks or driftwood and lots of live plants. You didn't say how large your tank is, but even a small tank can accommodate a nice school of small fish. There are many to choose from. you can do a search for small schooling freshwater fish and see which ones you like. If it is a large tank, then there are many more options as far as fish go.

30 gallon

I also prefer a natural look in my tanks. I agree about a thin layer of a more natural looking gravel on top of the neon. Then perhaps some nice size rocks or driftwood and lots of live plants. You didn't say how large your tank is, but even a small tank can accommodate a nice school of small fish. There are many to choose from. you can do a search for small schooling freshwater fish and see which ones you like. If it is a large tank, then there are many more options as far as fish go.

I'd like a nice school of fish. Neons are my favourite.

Perhaps a school of corries on the bottom.

A bristlenose

I don't know how many fish a 30 gallon could take without being overstocked.

I'd like to be able to have a variety of colours & sizes. Maybe one larger fish like a gourmais. The rest smaller.

you could do a school of neons or harlequin tetras or celestial pearl danios. There are so many options for a 30g tank. You could put in a nice school of 15 -20 very small schooling fish. If you like gouramis, I think the least aggressive ones are the Honey gouramis. They are nice fish and don't seem to be vulnerable to dwarf gourami disease.

I understand being thrifty but you will never be able to make a natural scape with fluorescent gravel. Its not that expensive and the results will be totally worth it. A nice brown gravel or ecocomplete substrate really accents a natural look. Just my .02¢

Some people like them, others don't and I am one of them, I would say don't get the plecos they cause more waste than they clean and need driftwood to lisp on (probably not the right word)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Imagination

I'm a pirate girl lolView attachment 275551View attachment 275552

Love it, Noel !
Now, that's imagination. Love the ship !
The only difference with mine is the gravel.
You have encouraged me. I've learned from you.
When creating a theme, you are only limited by your imagination.
Well done !!! :)

Thanks sonata

Find something you like and search for the items your looking for.
I enjoy my tank .I enjoy it more than TV .lol
Pirates and sunken ships and aquariums. Naturally go together to me. My angels love swimming between the masts. I occasionally see my koi angel peeking between the sail. Such a hoot! Hours of entertainment!!

Beautiful for Sure !

Thanks sonata

Find something you like and search for the items your looking for.
I enjoy my tank .I enjoy it more than TV .lol
Pirates and sunken ships and aquariums. Naturally go together to me. My angels love swimming between the masts. I occasionally see my koi angel peeking between the sail. Such a hoot! Hours of entertainment!!

I am sure I will search & replace many times before I get just what I want. If I ever get just what I want. It won't be like yours, as gorgeous as it is. It will be unique to me.
How big is your tank ?
If you don't mind could you send me those pics again ?
Well done ! :)

I hope when your finished setting yours up please post pics! Would love to see it

Just about 3 mo of research and finding what I want. I don't have real plants their just silk and plastic.
150 g tank
6 angels
1common pleco
2pink kissing gourimi
3 ghost catfish
3 mystery snails
3 panda corrys
5 gold barbs

Not many fish for 150 gallon. I suppose too many could take away from the décor. I have a much longer list for my 30. Perhaps I should start shortening it. It is not overstocked, but lots of little guys. :)
I'm using plastic plants. Might change to silk @ some point. They are more realistic.
My aquarium is set up & cycling & I still don't have a theme, like you have. As yet, it feels like a mish mash. I guess it will come. ( I hope ) :)

Honesty I just want the fish to be happy with plenty of room to swim. They all seem relaxed and content.
They don't hide from me nor do they territory issues it suits me fine. At home I'm constantly being asked by family to get more fish but I'm content

Back
Top Bottom