Importance of water temp during PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjtaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While doing PWCs iv never really worried about the temperature of the water I'm putting back it. But I assume for fish health it would be better to add the same temperature? How do people using the tap fed pythons check for correct water temp then? Or is it all best guess with them? Thanks

It doesn't have to be exact, but close is good. Dropping the temp 5-10 degrees during a water change is standard practice for some breeders to induce spawning.

Within a few degrees is fine. Like Roundar said, test by touch. It should get you close enough.

Ok and what about water conditioners is it really safe to use a python to fill that tank straight from the tap if u put conditioners in the tank before filling?

I add for tank volume immediately after or just before I start filling.

So basically
1.gravel vac and syphon out water.
2.add water conditioner for whole tanks volume.
3. Fill directly from tap. Matching temp as close as possible.
Correct yes? If so I'll probably be saving myself half an hours worth of carrying buckets back and forth.

Well I always thought it would be bad for the fish but I suppose as long as the water gets treated some where it's all good then. Buckets are ok when doing a PWC on a 24 gallons but it's just stupid on 90g tank. My first idea was to just fill like a 10g tub on wheels treat it and then use a pump to pump it in :)

It will be the best thing you've ever done. I use to have 5 gallon buckets lining the hallway prior to a water change and another line of buckets in the living room for the dirty water. Then I'd have a folding chair to get up high enough to fill with the 5 gallon buckets. You'll have a easier time it will be faster and you'll be less likely to skip a change because it's just a huge choir.

So enjoy! Your gonna love it.

So basically
1.gravel vac and syphon out water.
2.add water conditioner for whole tanks volume.
3. Fill directly from tap. Matching temp as close as possible.
Correct yes? If so I'll probably be saving myself half an hours worth of carrying buckets back and forth.

You got it. :)

Edit: sorry it told me my post earlier didn't go thought, but thanks yea life sounds like it will be easier now. Stopping at a hardware store on my way home from work to get a hose with tap connector on it :)

Well I always thought it would be bad for the fish but I suppose as long as the water gets treated some where it's all good then. Buckets are ok when doing a PWC on a 24 gallons but it's just stupid on 90g tank. My first idea was to just fill like a 10g tub on wheels treat it and then use a pump to pump it in :)

Yes, the "Anti-python" argument as I like to call it, ... doesn't hold water...

Sorry.

jetajockey said:
Beware! Straight tap water is a killer!
This message brought to you by the home depot bucket coalition for america.
ROFL!

I can't imagine what I'd do without my python changing 25g by bucket is no fun, no matter what home depot says ;)

--Adeeb

While doing PWCs iv never really worried about the temperature of the water I'm putting back it. But I assume for fish health it would be better to add the same temperature? How do people using the tap fed pythons check for correct water temp then? Or is it all best guess with them? Thanks

Our python is attached to the bathroom faucet. When we begin to refill, we do the touch test, but also watch the digital thermometers we have on each tank. That helps us know if we need to adjust the faucet settings.

I mean its nice and all guys but you just make me jealous. About three years ago when I started my planted tank, my tap was good ol' colorado river water it seems. Hard as a rock, alkaline, and salty. Since I wanted softer water for the plants, I was premixing with RO/DI so no python for me.

This year my water company redid all the lines and apparently moved my neighborhood over to a well into the deep aquafer here. The water is now pretty soft and low KH and has the added blessings of about 10 ppm nitrates.
Wonderful. Straight into the planted tank it can go! Just as I am cycling up another tank for mbuna.

Back
Top Bottom