Importing Zebra Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loraina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,
This might seem like a crazy question, but then again maybe it's a stroke of genius! I'm lucky enough to go to Brazil occasionally, and I am wondering - is it possible to import Zebra Plecos from there when I fly back? Does anyone know? I am in Canada but our laws on these things tend to be similar to that of the US if not slightly more lenient. Is there any problem with taking Zebras out of Brazil (ie protected or fragile species, etc.)

zebra

I believe I read there is now a ban on exporting zebra plecos, which is why the price has skyrocketed. And yes it would be illegal as heck. Great idea though. :)

I've heard of people being able to sneak out certain arowanas that have banned exports (can't remember the type) because the fry look a lot like silver arowanas.

JRagg said:
I've heard of people being able to sneak out certain arowanas that have banned exports (can't remember the type) because the fry look a lot like silver arowanas.

There aren't any...blacks, the only species that look like silvers, are still able to be exported.

You could try to smuggle some out, but if you got caught, especially on the Brazil end, you would really not enjoy the consequences...Brazilian prisons are nothing like ours.

Back
Top Bottom