impulse buying v research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would think most have done impulse buying at some stage, have you?? would you take the word of an LFS, or walk away..........

I have two lfs near me and the one store is fantastic and the other not so much. I would absolutely take the word of one and not the other. But if your thinking about doing a planted tank I would do some research first. Don't want to waste any money I would think.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

9 times out of 10 I consider the "information" I get at both of my local fish stores just small talk, even though both of them have been very accurate. If it's a fish, I'll research it, if it's a plant, I'll go for it (permitting the price is right), and if it's equipment, I'll definitely research it (and find it cheaper online).

I mostly visit my fish stores for looking, getting new plants, buying fertilizers and chemicals..so on and so forth.

I leave my impulse buys to the cheap stuff. :)

These days I can look almost any fish up on my phone while I am standing at the store. As a result, I no longer have to trust the LFS employees advice.

In the old days, I would take the store's advice because it was filled more with experienced employees. In today's pet shops, not so much. I would not impulse buy anything anymore without verifying what I was told. :nono:

I agree Andy, I try to look anything up before I go, I must admit it is still tempting.........

I buy all my stuff online my LFS sucks and way over priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never bought on line Dylan, always frightened in case of problems, have you had any?

Dylan, if you order your fish online, where is the best place for that? How are the fish when they arrive?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also order fish online.

I find the best place varies based on both where you are located and what kind of fish you are looking for.

These days I can look almost any fish up on my phone while I am standing at the store. As a result, I no longer have to trust the LFS employees advice.
Thumbs up for technology dalto, I often wonder how we went on in the past...........

I like live aquaria only problem I had with them is I just got a feather duster and it didn't have a crown but it will grow back. I do salt water aquariums I haven't bought fresh water from them but every fish I've got has been healthy. And they tell you what it's compatible with and all it's special needs. I also believe they have the cheapest shipping

I don't trust any of my LFS just because I've had some bad experiences with them. But I live in the middle of nowhere any pet stores around here are run down and they don't take good care of there animals

Yeah I could but I'm not worried about it for the most part it seems healthy and they lose them pretty easily

I agree Andy, I try to look anything up before I go, I must admit it is still tempting.........
I was in the retail Pet industry for a number of years besides the other years, (40 in total) I was in other fish related businesses and have to say, I was shocked and saddened at some of the things I have heard and been told by store employees over the past few years that I have restarted going into stores.
"Back in the day" if you didn't know what you were talking about, you weren't allowed to be on the sale's floor. MAN, that has changed!!!!! :banghead: So now, no matter how tempting, you just have to go in prepared. You have the most powerful word in the English language to work with: "NO". ;) ( FYI, I'd bet if you said NO on one day , gone home and researched and returned the next day, you could probably get that same price then too. (y) )

Back
Top Bottom