In need of a filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a used 90gal tank and it came with a Aqua Clear 500. At first I was going to sell the 500 and get a canister filter. Now I am thinking about keeping the 500, (because I probably would not get much for it anyway), and still buy a smaller canister filter. In the Aqua 500, I was going to use the sponge at the bottom and then fill the rest of the space with Bio Balls. As for the canister filter, I thought I could save some money and buy a Magnum 220 or a Fluval 304, instead of the 350 or 404.
I am going to be setting up a planted tropical tank, with some tetras, loaches,dwarf cichlids and eventually Discus.
Would this type of filtration, be adequate for Discus fish? I am open to any suggestions. I have not setup the tank yet, but I want to get everything ready for when that day comes.

Also Does anybody know of a good web site or book, that talks about setting up a proper Discus Habitat?

I thinm it is a great idea to use 2 different filters. The AC 500 isn't quite enough but with the addition of a nice canister you will have a nice setup. You want a turn over rate of 5-6 times the tank volumn per hour. The only problem you might have with a planted tank is if you want to add additional CO2 to the system. The churning of the water that HOB filters create is enough to drive off added CO2. But without added CO2 everything will be fine. Plus I like the convience of the HOB in case you have to plop in some carbon due to meds and what not.

Discus need really good quality water. This filtration will be fine but with those fish you will still have to constantly monitor things and have a well established water change regieme.

Well Raven, I'm in the process of doing just that in a 125 gal. It isn't simple or inexpensive. I like that you say eventually for the discus because the water chemistry needed in growing plants and caring for discus doesn't leave much margin for error.

IMO, when you're talking about equipment for a planted discus bio-type, trying to save money on less can cost you a fortune later. So if you've got your heart set on this kind of tank do lots of research on both before deciding on equipment.

I'm using (2) cannister filters (with just bio and mechanical media, no chemicals such as carbon). A fluval 404, and an eheim 2217.
HTH

Also, loaches and planted tanks don't generally go together, as they tend to dig.

The AC is a great filter so definitely don't pitch it, but I like a canister filter for a planted tank, for the reasons tkos mentioned pertaining to CO2. If you are doing relatively low-light plants like anubias, java fern, crypts and the like, then you don't have to worry too much about it.

For the canister I recommend an Eheim or a Rena Filstar. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom